97 Great Side Hustles for Moms to Make Extra Money
When you buy something through one of the links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
A lot of moms struggle to find a balance between being their for their kids and working towards financial freedom. There are a ton of stay at home moms that are looking for creative side hustles as a way to make money in their free time. Luckily, with the power of the internet, it's becoming easier and easier to find lots of opportunities for side hustles for moms.
If you are looking for ideas on how to earn a little extra cash in-between raising kids, we've got you covered. No, I'm not a mom, but I am married to a mother of 4 (my kids!) and I've hired several single moms in positions for my business.
Some of the ideas below are part time gigs that will help you earn a little extra income for a few hours of your spare time. Other side hustle ideas for moms below are ways to work towards financial freedom by starting your own business and making money online.
From ways to earn six figures to those little online side jobs that bring in that little bit extra, we've rounded up all of the different ways moms can pad their wallets with a few extra bucks.
The Ultimate List of Side Hustles for Moms
For some of these extra income ideas you'll need to have some real "hustle." To truly supplement your family's income with more than just side money you have to create something, start something from scratch, or get out there and find a few clients to make some money.
But don't let that scare you off! You can find a very lucrative side hustle that works for you even if you have multiple kids vying for your attention. In fact, some of the best side hustles for moms are those that might require a little bit more effort up front, but actually get easier as you build momentum, get sales, and turn your hustle into passive income.
Whatever you feel like will work best for you and your family is the best way to earn. You can always start small and in two years or when the kids become a little bit more independent, grow your side hustle. Don't worry about how much you could make, but focus on money saving tips and finding a good work-life balance so you don't burn yourself out!
Side Hustles For Moms That Require No Experience
Here are some of the real ways moms are making extra money putting in a few minutes or a few hours a week.
1. Sell on consignment - You can sell your old baby clothes or other household items on consignment at a local shop to drum up some extra money.
2. Have a garage sale - Sell your old stuff and put some extra cash in your bank account.
3. Standing in lines - Check Craigslist and TaskRabbit for people willing to pay money to have you stand in line for popular concerts or shows.
4. Reselling shoes - You can buy certain types of shoes online and then turn around and sell them at a higher price, also online. New release shoes are ripe for opportunity and this side hustle for moms can definitely be done at your convenience. Consider taking this course on how to buy and sell shoes for profit.
5. Selling your old electronics - You can flip your old electronics on eBay, Craiglist, Facebook Marketplace, and many more places.
6. Rent out used baby gear - As a mom, you know that kids outgrow their old toys. Why not clean up the old gear that you have and let others rent it out from you.
7. Host trivia nights
8. Craigslist arbitrage - You can buy things cheap on Craiglist and sell it for more either right on Craigslists or other places like Offer Up and Ebay. You can also check the Craigslist free section to find items that may be worth selling.
9. Taking online surveys - Try using Swag Bucks or Survey Junkie to get started taking surveys. This is a great one to do from home on your own schedule. It's not the most lucrative of pursuits, you can only really expect a few cents per survey, sometimes a few dollars. However, it's definitely an easy way to make extra money.
10. Selling handmade products - If you love making products and have a natural talent for something like knitting or corchet, you can either sell locally or online.
11. Buying and selling used books - This is a big opportunity for a stay at home mom. You can buy used books for cheap at a local second hand store or even online and then you can turn around and sell it for a higher price on eBay or Amazon. Check out TexTrader for a software tool that helps you find book flipping opportunities.
12. Cashback Apps - Sometimes it's not so much about making money, as it is about saving money. Cashback apps are a happy in between. You can spend money you were going to spend anyways, and enjoy a little bit of money back to start saving.
13. Sell items on Facebook Marketplace
14. Sell photos online - You can actually sell your photos on stock photo sites like Adobe or Shutterstock. You might be surprised that even pictures of regular everyday items are in demand. If you you find you really enjoy it, you might even decide to turn stock photos into a full photography business.
15. Sell breast milk - Yes, this really is a thing. Here's a website that allows people to get paid for their breast milk. Plus, you can feel good about helping out other moms that are having a hard time.
16. Sell your hair
17. Organize a Bundle Sale
18. Become a house sitter
19. Airbnb Host
20. Ironing and mobile laundry - Not that a busy mom wants to do more laundry, but who knows maybe that's something you are interested in? Either way, laundry is a lot less tedious when you can get paid to do it. Pick up someone's laundry once a week and get a regular clientelle going to make the most out of this side hustle idea.
21. Drive for Uber or Lyft
22. Advertising on your car - while you're spending money on gas driving here there and everywhere for the kids, you might as well get paid doing it.
23. Plasma Donor
24. Window Cleaning
25. Pet waste removal - Sure, it doesn't sound like fun. But this is why other people are willing to pay for this service. Start with your local neighborhood and you can likely build up a regular route to turn this into a great side hustle.
Part Time Job Ideas With a Flexible Schedule
These side hustles for moms don't necessarily require any prior experience (though some probably do). However, as a hustle options, to make a good amount of extra money, you should be prepared to treat it like a part time job. Be consistent with the time you put into making it work.
26. Podcasting - Believe it or not, starting a podcast is not that difficult. If you like to talk and you can plug a USB microphone into your computer, you basically have everything you need to get started. If you can build an audience, you can get paid for doing sponsored episodes, charging for a subscription, or even selling stuff related to your podcast.
27. Wedding photographer - Getting into the wedding photography game is the perfect side hustle if you like to do work in person rather than online. You can still interact with other adults (instead of just your kids all the time) and accept jobs that work with your schedule with plenty of time to arrange childcare in advance.
28. Real Estate Agent - Lots of companies will allow you to work on your own schedule. As a busy mom or even a single mother, you likely can't show homes at certain times of the day, but you can establish a schedule and find a clientelle that works with.
29. Customer service representative
30. Local Newsletter or Facebook Group - You can do a print edition or an email newsletter (must easier to start). If you become the source of news and write well, there is tons of opportunity to build up a local newsletter. All you need an email provider like ConvertKit (which you can start for free) and ideas to write about.
31. Dog walking - Start by asking your neighbours, friends and family. You'll be surprised how many people notice you in the park and you can market your services to them. Getting paid to walk dogs is a sweet side hustle for any dog lover and an easy way to earn extra money.
32. Mystery shopping
33. Fiverr Gigs - Sing songs, write articles, design a logo or perform any other of the tons of Fiverr gigs that can be done for $5 or $10 a time (learn more about how Fiverr works). Check out how people are making money on Fiverr here.
35. Online teacher - You can get hired as school teacher for lots of online schools, many of which are charter schools. Certified teachers are in high demand, but other teaching positions may be available for non-certified teachers as well.
36. Brand ambassador
37. Party planning
38. Multi-Level Marketing - I don't personally like selling to family and friends, but if that's your thing...there's plenty of MLMs out there (like Multiple Income Funnel).
39. Self-publish a book on kindle - Write at your convenience, then promote when you have time. Lots of moms are writing books and making money on Kindle without ever leaving their homes. Plus, self-publishing means you stand to earn more money from any sales you make than you would through traditional publishing.
40. Instagram marketer - If you can build a following, companies will pay you good money to mention their products.
41. Get a part-time job - As a busy mom, you would want to look for an easy part time job that you can do online most likely. Lots of these side gigs can be done online, perhaps start on Fiverr for ideas and inspiration. Alternatively, there are often remote roles going for simple administrative tasks or a professional organizer.
42. Resume writing
43. Masseuse - If you start with family and friends, and have your own massage table, you can start this business out of your own home and start making good money on the side.
44. Tax preparer
45. Sell services on Upwork - If you are willing to be a freelance writer or have customer support or technical skills, there are constantly new jobs being posted on Upwork.
46. Home Staging
47. Influencer on Social Media - You can either attempt to become an influencer on your own (which takes a lot of time to build an audience) or you can work with someone that already has a following and help them out.
48. Voiceover - Lots of companies are looking for people with just the right voice for their podcasts, commercials, or other voice work.
49. Teaching a group fitness class - Why not start a baby and mom fitness class? If you know other busy moms, you might be able to start a group of 5 to 10 where you teach a fitness class in your home or in your backyard that welcomes children. This fun side hustle could turn into a nice social gathering and money in your savings account.
50. Finding gigs on Craigslist - You would need to be picky about what you select, but you might be surprised about some of the gigs that show up on Craigslist.
51. Local tour guide
52. Start an Amazon Merch store - Tshirts, mugs, bags, and other merch is easier to sell than you might think. All you need to do is come up with the grahic design and then print on demand stores do all the rest. You can list it on Amazon with no inventory.
53. Editing college admission essays
54. Become a freelance writer - Online publications are constantly looking for great writers. This is a side job that you can do online at your own pace. Upwork and Pro Blogger Job boards would be a good place to start looking for a freelance writing position.
55. Start an online handbag rental business
57. Mturk - This is a service started by Amazon that allows you to do small tasks in exchange for money.
58. Notary Public - Frankly underrated as one of the easiest side hustles for moms (check out our list of notary business name ideas for inspiration as you get started). Once you become a notary public, all you really have to do is sign and seal documents for people. You can even make them come to you and work out of your home. An easy way to make extra money.
61. Cleaning service
62. Sell products on Etsy - If you are able to create handmade products, these are what do well with Etsy shop. Handmade soap, knitting, or just about anything else could be a great way to make some side money on etsy.
63. Sell t shirts online - Again, this is a great hustle you can do on your own time. You come up with a great idea and either design the shirt yourself or hire a graphic designer to do it for you. Learn how to start a t shirt business on Amazon.
64. Translation Service
65. Interior decorating
66. Tutoring - You can work with local neighborhood kids to start after school and then build your business from there.
67. Tutor over Zoom - You can expand beyond your own city or state by offering to tutor over zoom. If you teach English you'll likely have a pretty easy time connecting with a growing number of international students that are looking to improve their English.
68. Become a virtual assistant - Lots of companies are hiring help to work virtually (at home and on your own schedule). Try Upwork to find jobs related to virtually assisting.
69. Yoga teacher - You just might be able to do this one in your own home.
71. Teach a language
72. Online Bookkeeper
73. Teach music lessons - You can become a piano teacher to local children after school or on weekends. This is a great side hustle for moms that have musical talent.
74. Be a part-time caregiver
75. Model - Hey, just because you're a mom doesn't mean you've lost it.
76. Gardener - You don't have to be a full on landscaper, but if you have a green thumb and like to plant flowers, then consider being a part-time gardener. You can get paid for mowing the lawn and planting flowers or vegetables for other people all on your own schedule. This is another great side hustle idea that you can market to your local community, friends and family. Once you find clients that are interested in a recurring schedule, you can make some decent money.
Side hustle ideas with the potential to replace a full time job
My idea of the perfect side hustle is one that can replace your current job, or grow into passive income. With this in mind, here are the side hustles for moms that have a lot of potential to high paying pursuits.
77. Flip websites - I know lots of moms that build, buy, and sell websites. There's definitely an art to doing this successfully, but once you get going this is a great way to earn more money.
78. Medical Transcriptionist - This is a great work from home opportunity for a stay at home mom with a medical background. Work your own schedule whenever you have a spare moment. Depending on your experience, you could make a substantial amount of money from home.
79. Affiliate marketing - Learn how to get started with affiliate marketing right here. This is really one of those side hustles for moms that are pursuing a passive income strategy. It's one of the best side hustles to make money online.
80. Start a Shopify store - Shopify is the easiest eCommerce platform out there to sell products online. Find something people love and put together an online store in less than a day. You'd be surprised how many businesses started out as small ventures in their first year and grew astronomically over time.
81. Blogging - Mom Blogging is big for a reason. TONS of stay at home moms are making significant amounts of money writing about food, fashion, kids, and much more. Learn how to start a blog right here. Make money through sponsored posts, ads, and affiliate links. You might even decide to start a blog teaching moms to make money online...
82. Start a YouTube channel - The opportunity is real, but not easy. As a busy mom, your kids might have to be part of your channel. Maybe you can show what raising a family is REALLY like?! Learn about how to make money with Youtube affiliate marketing here. It's worth noting that this is one of the creative ways you can make more than just a little spare change, but you have to be prepared to really commit and grow your audience.
83. Build a software product - This can be a simple idea and you can even hire people to build it for you.
84. Web design - If you have technical skills, local companies are often looking for help building a professional-looking website.
85. Create a mobile app - Again, if you don't know how to do this yourself, don't let that stop you/ If you have the idea, you can make it a reality if you hire people who know what they're doing. This might mean your upfront costs are a little bit higher, but if you put out the next Angry Birds, the ROI will be worth it.
86. Teaching an online course - Lots of online schools are looking for online teachers. Or you can even create your own course, get your own students, and have a nice side business.
87. Email Marketing
88. Start a carpet cleaning business - You can get started by asking friends, family, and neighbors if you can clean their carpets. Then just rent the carpet cleaning gear so that you don't have a major investment to start.
89. Sell on Amazon FBA - Amazon provides lots of opportunities for people to make money on the side. Think of a product idea, go to Alibaba and have it made, list it on Amazon.
90. Social media manager for small businesses - Local companies might have the desire to get involved in social media, but might not know how. You can step in and work for a couple hours a day whenever you can and successfully manage the social media presence of a few different companies. Prior experience in social media management might help you when you're pitching, but ultimately, if you can prove your skill set by showing them you have a lot of followers, you don't necessarily need any formal training.
91. Become an Amazon Associate - The Amazon Associates program allows you to make money when people buy Amazon products through your affiliate link. You can create a niche website, start a youtube channel, or share your affiliate links on social media.
92. Start a niche site - You can build a site that ends up getting traffic from Google or social media. This traffic can be monetized with display ads and affiliate links.
93. Dropshipping - Did you know that large companies will let you sell their product without inventory and then they will ship it to the customer? Most dropshippers build a store using Shopify.
94. Flipping raw land
95. Buy and sell domain names - Domains are still a big market. This is a great side hustle for moms that are at home and have a busy schedule.
96. Rental Properties
97. Run a daycare - The best part about this side hustle idea is that you can bring your own kids to work with you!
Final thoughts on side hustles for moms
Overall, I hope you've found some of the side hustle ideas for moms listed above to be useful (and we also want to help you find out how to make money without a job).
Some of these ideas are ways you can start earning money with relatively little effort. You can just hop online and get started doing little tasks for money.
Other ideas listed are slightly more complicated that may require more planning time and investment. However, sometimes the ideas that take a little bit more time to plan and get started are the ones that will have more long term earning potential.
With that in mind, these ideas really just scratch the surface. Perhaps some of these ideas have sparked a new idea for you that is completely different from anything we've listed above.
Overall, the key to finding a great side hustle to earn extra cash is really to just get started. Don't allow yourself to just do a bunch of searching online and then never actually take the step necessary to start earning the extra money.
Go out there are get started today.
If you are looking for additional online business ideas or other ways that you can make money on the side, you should consider joining the Niche Pursuits newsletter right here. Each week I send out new ideas and inspirational stories right to your inbox.
Or read more general Side Hustles for Women. Or Side Hustles for Teens (if you have teenagers).
Want to learn step-by-step how I built my Niche Site Empire up to a full-time income?
Yes! I Love to Learn
Learn How I Built My Niche Site Empire to a Full-time Income
- How to Pick the Right Keywords at the START, and avoid the losers
- How to Scale and Outsource 90% of the Work, Allowing Your Empire to GROW Without You
- How to Build a Site That Gets REAL TRAFFIC FROM GOOGLE (every. single. day.)
- Subscribe to the Niche Pursuits Newsletter delivered with value 3X per week
My top recommendations