The number of stay at home moms looking for a side hustle is increasing. And with the power of the internet, it’s becoming easier and easier to find lots of opportunities for side hustles for moms.
If you are looking for ideas on how to earn a little extra cash in-between raising kids, we’ve got you covered. No, I’m not a mom, but I am married to a mother of 4 (my kids!) and I’ve hired several single moms in positions for my business.
I understand the importance of a flexible work schedule and the freedom to take breaks when those inevitable
diaper changes distractions happen.
Some of the ideas below are part time gigs that you can get and work at with a flexible schedule. Other side hustle ideas for moms below are more of a business idea.
You’ll need to have some true hustle for some of these ideas as it will require you to create something, start something from scratch, or find clients to make some money.
Don’t be scared off by these ideas right away! Some of the best side hustles for moms are those that might require a little bit more effort up front, but actually get easier as you build momentum, get sales, and find a way to make the “hustle” as passive as possible.
However, there is certainly no one size fits all when it comes to side hustle ideas. So, we’ve got jobs that you can get paid for right away (swapping time for dollars), but we’ve got some of those bigger ideas that may require more effort up front, but also have a bigger payoff.
Then we’ve also got a few side “job” ideas that don’t require you to get hired, but are more just activities that you can do online in exchange for a little bit of money.
I hope some of the side hustle ideas for moms below sparks a new path for you to earn the money you are looking for.
GET MORE QUALIFIED TRAFFIC TO YOUR WEBSITE — FAST
The Traffic Course is designed to be a quick-study course with tactics you can implement today.
Here’s the curriculum:
1. How to Make Google Love You—Or At Least Stop Ignoring Your Texts
2. The Hidden Traffic Opportunities Right Under Your Nose
3. The “Unsung” Search Engines You Might Be Overlooking
4. How to Create New Content That’s a Hit–Without Wasting TimeCheck Out the Full Course
The Ultimate List of Side Hustles for Moms
- Podcasting – Believe it or not, starting a podcast is not that difficult. If you like to talk and you can plug a USB microphone into your computer, you basically have everything you need to get started. If you can build an audience, sponsors will happily pay to be mentioned in your episodes.
- Wedding Photographer
- Real Estate Agent – Lots of companies will allow you to work on your own schedule. As a busy mom or even a single mother, you likely can’t show homes at certain times of the day, but you can establish a schedule and find a clientelle that works with.
- Customer Service Representative
- Sell on consignment – You can sell your old baby clothes or other household items on consignment at a local shop to drum up some extra money.
- Local Newsletter or Facebook Group – You can do a print edition or an email newsletter (must easier to start). If you become the source of news and write well, there is tons of opportunity to build up a local newsletter. All you need an email provider like ConvertKit (which you can start for free) and ideas to write about.
- Dog Walking – Tell neighbors and friends, you might be surprised how much money you can make walking dogs.
- Flip websites – I know several working moms that build, buy, and sell websites. Work from home on your own schedule. Does it get any better than that?
- Mystery shopping
- Have a garage sale – Sell your old stuff and put some extra cash in your bank account.
- Standing in lines – Check Craigslist and TaskRabbit for people willing to pay money to have you stand in line for popular concerts or shows.
- Medical Transcriptionist – This is a great work from home opportunity for moms. Work your own schedule whenever you have a spare moment.
- Fiverr Gigs – Sing songs, write articles, graphic designs or tons of other Fiverr gigs can be done for $5 or $10 a time. Check out how people are making money on Fiverr here.
- Affiliate marketing – Learn how to get started with affiliate marketing right here.
- Online teacher – You can get hired as school teacher for lots of online schools, many of which are charter schools. Certified teachers are in high demand, but other teaching positions may be available for non-certified teachers as well.
- Start a Shopify store – Shopify is the easiest eCommerce platform out there to sell products online.
- Brand Ambassador
- Reselling shoes – You can buy certain types of shoes online and then turn around and sell them at a higher price, also online. New release shoes are ripe for opportunity and this side hustle for moms can definitely be done at your convenience. Consider taking this course on how to buy and sell shoes for profit.
- Blogging – Mom Blogging is big for a reason. TONS of stay at home moms are making significant amounts of money writing about food, fashion, kids, and much more. Learn how to start a blog right here.
- Party planning
- Multi-Level Marketing – I don’t personally like selling to family and friends, but if that’s your thing…there’s plenty of MLMs out there.
- Self-publish a book on kindle – Write at your convenience, then promote when you have time. Lots of moms are writing books and making money on Kindle without ever leaving their homes.
- Start a YouTube channel – The opportunity is real, but not easy. As a busy mom, your kids might have to be part of your channel. Maybe you can show what raising a family is REALLY like?! Learn about how to make money with Youtube affiliate marketing here.
- Instagram Marketer – If you can build a following, companies will pay you good money to mention their products.
- Selling your old electronics – You can flip your old electronics on eBay, Craiglist, Facebook Marketplace, and many more places.
- Build a software product – This can be a simple idea and you can hire someone to build it for you.
- Web Design – If you have technical skills, local companies are often looking for help building a professional-looking website.
- Masseuse – If you start with family and friends, and have your own massage table, you can start this business out of your own home and start making good money on the side.
- Tax preparer
- Rent Out Used Baby Gear – As a mom, you know that kids outgrow their old toys. Why not clean up the old gear that you have and let others rent it out from you.
- Host Trivia Nights
- Get a part-time job – As a busy mom, you would want to look for a part time job that you can do online most likely. Lots of these side gigs can be done online, perhaps start on Fiverr for ideas and inspiration.
- Resume writing
- Craigslist Arbitrage – You can buy things cheap on Craiglist and sell it for more either right on Craigslists or other places like Offer Up and Ebay. You can also check the Craigslist free section to find items that may be worth selling.
- Taking online surveys – Try using Swag Bucks to get started doing online surveys. This is a great one to do from home on your own schedule.
- Create a mobile app
- Sell services on Upwork – If you are willing to be a freelance writer or have customer support or technical skills, there are constantly new jobs being posted on Upwork.
- Home Staging
- Influencer on Social Media – You can either attempt to become an influencer on your own (which takes a lot of time to build an audience) or you can work with someone that already has a following and help them out.
- Voiceover – Lots of companies are looking for people with just the right voice for their podcasts, commercials, or other voice work.
- Teaching an online course – Lots of online schools are looking for online teachers. Or you can even create your own course, get your own students, and have a nice side business.
- Email Marketing
- Carpet Cleaning – You can get started by asking friends, family, and neighbors if you can clean their carpets. Then just rent the carpet cleaning gear so that you don’t have a major investment to start.
- Sell on Amazon FBA – Amazon provides lots of opportunities for people to make money on the side. Think of a product idea, go to Alibaba and have it made, list it on Amazon.
- Product Licensing – If you are creative enough, you can simply come up with the great new product idea and then license that idea to a larger corporation that will do all the manufacturing, sales, and support. You just collect your monthly royalty checks.
- Teaching a group fitness class – Why not start a baby and mom fitness class? If you know other busy moms, you might be able to start a group of 5 to 10 where you teach a fitness class in your home or in your backyard that welcomes children. This could turn into a nice social gathering + money in your savings account.
- Finding Gigs on Craigslist – You would need to be picky about what you select, but you might be surprised about some of the gigs that show up on Craigslist.
- Local tour guide
- Start an Amazon Merch store – Tshirts, mugs, bags, and other merch is easier to sell than you might think. All you need to do is come up with the grahic design and then print on demand stores do all the rest. You can list it on Amazon with no inventory.
- Editing college admission essays
- Become a freelance writer – Online publications are constantly looking for great writers. This is a side job that you can do online at your own pace. Upwork and Pro Blogger Job boards would be a good place to start looking for a freelance writing position.
- Start an online handbag rental business
- Mturk – This is a service started by Amazon that allows you to do small tasks in exchange for money.
- Notary Public
- Manage social media for small businesses – Local companies might have the desire to get involved in social media, but might not know how. You can step in and work for a couple hours a day whenever you can and successfully manage the social media presence of a few different companies.
- Sell items on Ebay or Craigslist
- Cleaning service
- Sell products on Etsy – If you are able to create handmade products, these are what do well with Etsy shop. Handmade soap, knitting, or just about anything else could be a great way to make some side money on etsy.
- Sell tshirts online – Again, this is a great hustle you can do on your own time. You come up with the a great idea and either design the shirt yourself and hire a graphic designer to do it for you. Learn how to start a tshirt business on Amazon.
- Selling your hair
- Tutoring – You can work with local neighborhood kids to start after school and then build your business from there.
- Tutor over Zoom – You can expand beyond your own city or state by offering to tutor over zoom.
- Organize a Bundle Sale
- Become a house sitter
- Airbnb Host
- Ironing and Mobile Laundry – Not that a busy mom wants to do more laundry, but who knows maybe that’s something you are interested in? Pick up someone’s laundry once a week and get a regular clientelle going.
- Yoga teacher – You just might be able to do this one in your own home.
- Become an Amazon Associate – The Amazon Associates program allows you to make money when people buy Amazon products through your affiliate link. You can create a niche website, start a youtube channel, or share your affiliate links on social media.
- Become a virtual assistant – Lots of companies are hiring help to work virtually (at home and on your own schedule). Try Upwork to find these sort of jobs.
- Drive for Uber or Lyft
- Advertising on your car
- Teach a language
- Start a niche site – You can build a site that ends up getting traffic from Google or social media. This traffic can be monetized with display ads and affiliate links.
- Teach music lessons – You can become a piano teacher to local children after school or on weekends. This is a great side hustle for moms that have musical talent.
- Be a part-time caregiver
- Plasma Donor
- Window Cleaning
- Dropshipping – Did you know that large companies will let you sell their product without inventory and then they will ship it to the customer? Most dropshippers build a store using Shopify.
- Pet waste removal – Sure, it doesn’t sound like fun. But this is why other people are willing to pay for this service. Start with your local neighborhood and you can likely build up a regular route that can be a great side hustle.
- Flipping raw land
- Sell Photos Online – You can actually sell your photos on stock photo sites like Adobe or Shutterstock. You might be surprised that even pictures of regular everyday items are in demand.
- Selling breast milk – Yes, this really is a think. Here’s a website that allows people to buy and sell breast milk.
- Translation Service
- Interior decorating
- Buying and Selling Used Books – This is a big opportunity for a stay at home mom. You can buy used books for cheap at a local second hand store or even online and then you can turn around and sell it for a higher price on eBay or Amazon. Check out TexTrader for a software tool that helps you find book flipping opportunities.
- Selling your clothes – You can sell your own clothes that you have in your closet, or you might be able to find name brand clothes at a second hand store that you can flip for a profit.
- Buy and sell domain names – Domains are still a big market. This is a great side hustle for moms that are at home and have a busy schedule.
- Rental Properties
- Selling handmade products – If you love making products, you can either sell locally or online.
Start Your Side Hustle for Moms Today!
Overall, I hope you’ve found some of the side hustle ideas for Moms listed above to be useful.
Some of these ideas are ways you can start earning money with relatively little effort. You can just hop online and get started doing little tasks for money.
Other ideas listed are slightly more complicated that may require more planning time and investment. However, sometimes the ideas that take a little bit more time to plan and get started are the ones that will have more long term earning potential.
In addition, these ideas really just scratch the surface. Perhaps some of these ideas have sparked a new idea for you that is completely different from anything we’ve listed above.
Overall, the key to finding a great side hustle to earn extra cash is really to just get started. Don’t allow yourself to just do a bunch of searching online and then never actually take the step necessary to start earning the extra money.
Go out there are get started today.
If you are looking for additional online business ideas or other ways that you can make money on the side, you should consider joining the Niche Pursuits newsletter right here. Each week I send out new ideas and inspirational stories right to your inbox.