Niche Site Project 4
When you buy something through one of the links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Welcome to Niche Site Project 4!
So, what is a “niche site project?”. In a nutshell, it's a public case study where I build a brand new site and document the journey as it grows (hopefully) for you to learn from. I plan to share everything from earnings, traffic, and even the site itself so you can check it out.
If you have been a Niche Pursuits reader for a while, you will know that I've done this 3 times in the past. However, each project has been a little bit different.
During Niche Site Project 4, I personally plan to build a niche site from scratch (I won't be coaching a “student”). However, I am encouraging readers to participate and build a new site right along with me.
You can officially join Niche Site Project 4 here even though it already started! Click here to join Niche Site Project 4!
Read the posts below to get all the detailed updates!
For a quick summary of the timeline and major milestones of the project, please see the list here:
- July 31st, 2018 – I publicly announce Niche Site Project 4
- July 2018 – I selected my first niche idea before announcing the project, but write about finding a niche here (in early August).
- August 7th, 2018 – I buy a misspelled domain name for my first niche idea. Whoops.
- August 16th, 2018 – I buy a correctly spelled domain name for my first niche idea.
- August 20th, 2018 – After more in-depth research, I decide to scrap my first niche idea and select another one. Luckily before I had started my website.
- August 22nd, 2018 – I decide on a new niche. I also reveal what my “old” niche was and why I didn't select it here.
- August 24th, 2018 – I buy the domain name for my new niche.
- Sept. 10th 2018 – First article published on the site. I designate this the “day 1” of the sites real age.
- Oct. 5th, 2018 – I publish the 1st Monthly Report and share all my strategies. 20 articles published, $0 in earnings.
- Nov. 2018 – 2nd Monthly Report published. 12 new articles published (32 total), $0 in earnings.
- Dec. 2018 – 3rd Monthly Report published. 7 new articles published (39 total), $0 in earnings.
- Jan. 2019 – 4th Monthly Report published. 11 new articles published (50 total), $26.66 earnings for the month.
- Feb. 2019 – 5th Monthly Report published. 32 new articles published (82 total), $6.00 earnings for the month.
- March 2019 – 6th Monthly Report published. 10 new articles published (92 total), $15.51 earnings for the month.
- April 2019 – 7th Monthly Report published. 15 new articles published (107 total), $128.41 earnings for the month.
- May 2019 – 8th Monthly Report published. 13 new articles published (120 total), $565.44 earnings for the month.
- June 2019 – 9th Monthly Report published. 18 new articles published (138 total), $740.45 earnings for the month.
- July 2019 – 10th Monthly Report published. 20 new articles published (158 total), $1,218.41 earnings for the month.
- August 2019 – 11th Monthly Report published. 6 new articles published (164 total), $1,392.11 earnings for the month.
- September 2019 – 12th Monthly Report published. 15 new articles published (179 total), $1,109.37 earnings for the month.
- December 2019 – 13th Report published. $2,360.98 in earnings for the month!
- January 2020 – $1,297 earnings for the month
- February 2020 – $1,498 earnings for the month
- March 2020 – Read full income report – $3,195 earnings for the month.
- April 2020 – $7,212 earnings for the month
- May 2020 – $8,290 earnings for the month
- June 2020 – Read income update. $6,770 earnings for the month
- July 2020 – $5,122 earnings for the month
- August 2020 – $3,304 earnings for the month
- September 2020 – $2,928 earnings for the month
- October 2020 – $2,647 earnings for the month
- November 2020 – $2,875 earnings for the month
- December 2020 – $3,755 earnings for the month
- January 2021 – Read the annual income report here. $2,042 earnings for the month
- February 2021 – $1,920 earnings for the month
- March 2021 – $4,593 earnings for the month
- April 2021 – $5,210 earnings for the month
After doing 12 months of monthly reports, I decided to stop publishing monthly updates. However, I will still provide periodic updates when I hit other milestones or have some other major update to share.
For now, I am still working on growing OwnTheYard.com!
As a reminder, the timeline above does NOT include every single post I've written for Niche Site Project 4. You can find all of them below. Thanks!
Want to learn step-by-step how I built my Niche Site Empire up to a full-time income?
Yes! I Love to Learn
Learn How I Built My Niche Site Empire to a Full-time Income
- How to Pick the Right Keywords at the START, and avoid the losers
- How to Scale and Outsource 90% of the Work, Allowing Your Empire to GROW Without You
- How to Build a Site That Gets REAL TRAFFIC FROM GOOGLE (every. single. day.)
- Subscribe to the Niche Pursuits Newsletter delivered with value 3X per week
My top recommendations
Can you show time of post and comment? I just come back your site from longtime. I can not recognize which is updating from your site. Thank you
Hi Spencer, Really looking forward to Niche Site Project 4. 🙂
I’m going to be building my first affiliate website has we go along.
Really enjoy the content, thank you. x
I have been following your projects for awhile and will be participating in Project #4.
Your website content and Podcast are GREAT!
Thank you and look forward to be in the top 10 finishers!
Thank you for sharing…..its been a great privileged
I just found your website and podcast and am starting to delve into world of SEO and affiliate marketing. Thank you for sharing so much information! I’ve found these articles extremely helpful.
If the top google results from my chosen keyword come from sites like Pinterest and one-off articles from major magazine and news outlets, is that a sign that the keyword is too competitive?
I got a domain name for my niche project and it is 25 characters long. Is the length of domain name matters? How long do you think right?
I have been following the niche site project series, I learned so much from it and it gave me just the enough confidence to start my own project. keep doing the great work, I am hungry for new case studies.
Thanks for the feedback, Billy. Glad you are learning so much from the niche site projects!
Great Journey Spencer. I also start tech based site and publish just 2 articles each one is 6K+ words but still no traffic and ranking. Any advice please??
Minimum how many words article you suggested???
Keep working at it! Posts are ranking quick if they rank within 6 months nowadays. Articles should be as long as it takes to answer all of a reader’s questions
Thanks Spencer for sharing all the information with us. It’s not frequent to find the information you are providing. I’m keep trying to build my niches and trying to get some profit. At this moment just few euros per month.
Hey Ricard, I’m the content manager here at Niche Pursuits. Just wanted to say thanks for the kind words 🙂 you have to start somewhere. The first few bucks are the hardest, so keep at it.
Just want to know when monthly revenue will be posted. After April 2019, project status not updated.
Hi Prasad, I’ll update that this week 🙂
I’m an accidental affiliate marketer. Was trying to rank for my online store, started writing on VPNs and boom, affiliate marketing fees. It wasn’t much back then.
WPStarters is a growing WordPress site earning reasonable affiliate marketing income. It can grow much more with the right strategies and implementation that I just learned from your site.
Wished I found out about NichePursuits earlier! 🙁