Tung has been sharing a public project on his site for a few months now, and as it turns out…he just sold his site for $10,000 on Flippa! Pretty cool.
As a result, I wanted to share his overall success story from this site with you. In addition to sharing the URL of the site and how much its making, he also shares a few of the tactics he used to get his site ranking at the top of Google. I'll let Tung take it away from here!…
Tung Tran's Success Story
1. What is your name and current job/profession?
Hi Spencer, my name is Tung Tran. I'm a 19 year-old Vietnamese who has just dropped out of college to become a location independent entrepreneur. I've never had a “real” job before as I've been doing online business since I was at high school.
2. How did you get started building niche websites? How long have you been building websites?
Honestly I don't remember exactly how I got started but I've been building niche websites for over 3 years.
3. Tell us about one (preferred) or multiple of your successful websites. What is the URL and what niche are you targeting? If you are not willing to publicly share your domain or niche, that’s just fine.
My most successful website this year is bestadjustabledumbbells.org which was built in March 2013 in a public case study (inspired by yours) where I showed people the process I used to build a niche website from scratch.
You can tell from the domain name the niche I'm targeting. The website is all about “adjustable dumbbells” and the mission is to help people find the best adjustable dumbbells for their needs.
4. How much money do you make from this successful website(s) each month?
Well, the total revenue in 2013 (03/17/2013 – 01/09/2013) is $2,709.18 so it's around $540/month.
Here is the income broken down by month:
April 2013: $112.21
May 2013: $1002.23
June 2013: $533.36
July 2013: $314.73
August 2013: $749.23
Traffic since the site started:
One great news is that I've just sold this niche website recently on Flippa for $10,000 (check out the listing here) so the total revenue from the site should be: $12,709.18.
The total cost is around $700 and 20 hours of my time (for setting up site, adding content and making some tweaks) so I'm left with approximately $12,000 in profit.
5. What is the reason for this website’s success?
It's keyword research as always. I was able to rank #3 for the main keyword without a single backlink.
6. Please briefly share your overall strategy for finding a niche, getting traffic to your site, ranking in Google, and making money from niche sites.
- Keyword Research: Long Tail Pro + Semrush for generating unlimited keyword ideas.
- Content Creation: My own Filipino writer. He works part time for me as he has a 9-to-5 job. I'm building a team of in-house writers to help me with content creation.
- Link Building: I used to outsource this part heavily but recently I started to do it in-house with the help of my VAs.
Having your own high quality blog network is the key for quick and stable ranking.
7. What link-building tips can you offer?
Take control of your tier 1 backlink and build your own blog network as soon as possible. It will be the best investment and will pay off quickly if you use it right.
8. How has the success from this website impacted your life?
$500/month is not so much so I reinvested all the money into another projects.
The $10,000 is really helpful for me at the moment as I will be able to scale up my business and take it to the next level.
9. Do you have any additional tips or advice for others that would like to replicate your success with their own websites?
Take action and do something now! You already have all the resource you need to build a successful online business. Don't wait for the magical system or method that will help you achieve overnight success. They aren't existing!
If you want to do something big, start small first. Set the goal of $100/month for your first site and scale up.
10. Do you have a blog or other place that people can follow along with what you are doing?
Yeah I'm publishing regularly at CloudLivingJourney.com where I talk about online business, niche websites, SEO, affiliate marketing and more.
I also love to experiment different online business ideas and share them as public case studies on the blog.
Thanks again to Tung for sharing his awesome success story! As always, I would love to hear any comments or questions that you have in regards to this post. Either Tung or I will do our best to respond to all your comments.