Get Paid to Write Reviews Online: 6 Best Sites for Side Hustle Income
When you buy something through one of the links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Do you want to get paid to write reviews online from the comfort of your home? Sounds good, right?
The pandemic has forever changed how we shop. Now, you can purchase your necessities without stepping out of your home more than ever. However, we cannot check the quality of the product purchased online as we can in person. This is where online reviews come into play.
Our research finds that 93% of customers said that online reviews have an impact on their purchases.
But did you know that you can also earn money by writing reviews?
Many companies pay handsomely for your online reviews. From books to products and software to services, there’s no end to how you can make money by writing reviews online.
Let’s look at some ways you can make money doing this from the comfort of your home.
And if you just want to jump in and start making money from something as simple as sharing your opinions then you'll definitely want to check out SwagBucks.
- Why Do Businesses Need Your Reviews?
- 6 Best Sites to Make Money Writing Reviews
- Instead of Writing Reviews, Get Paid to Shop
- Get Paid for Giving Your Opinion
- Start a Review Blog and Earn from Display Ads and Affiliate Sales
- Get Paid to Write Reviews for Testing Products
- Get Paid to Do Surveys
- Get Paid to Judge Software
- Can You Get Paid to Write Reviews for Google and Amazon?
- Wrapping Up
Why Do Businesses Need Your Reviews?
Your reviews can help companies to stay ahead of the competition, retain customers, increase conversion rates, and ultimately make more profit.
Reviews and ratings also play a significant role in influencing customers when shopping online, so it's important to provide honest reviews to help them make the best choice.
There's also the added credibility, social proofing, and SEO benefits that reviews can bring to a website.
6 Best Sites to Make Money Writing Reviews
1. User Testing
Writing reviews is not for everyone. But what if you could record a video testing websites or apps instead? UserTesting pays you $10 for just 20 min of your time. If you have screen recording software like Loom, you can record a video testing websites or apps for UserTesting.
According to a recent survey by BazaarVoice, 62% of customers prefer customer videos and photos before making a purchase decision.
To start, all you need to do is:
- Register with UserTesting.
- Take their practice exam.
- Join the global community.
Once the signup process is complete, UserTesting will start assigning tasks to you. As part of the review process, you need to make a 20-minute video documenting yourself testing the website or app in real time.
- You can use any device as long as you download the recording software and record the testing process in real-time. It can be a laptop, desktop, smartphone, or tablet.
- You get paid $10 for every 20-minute video recording and more if you’re asked to take part in follow up interviews.
Depending on how many reviews you do, UserTesting can be a relatively easy way to make some extra money.
2. Gartner Peer Insights
Are you an IT executive? Maybe you’d like to review software for Gartner. Gartner Peer Insights pays a pretty decent $25 for every review you write and is a good option to get paid to write reviews online.
If you are in the process of acquiring software, chances are that you may have already come across Gartner.
Gartner Peer Insights is a peer-driven review platform for software and IT solutions in general. They have over 3,000 vendors covering 300+ technology markets.
Being a review site, Gartner pays its reviewers for every approved review. All you need to do is:
- Register with Gartner Peer Insights.
- Join the Peer Insights Community.
- Submit a review of the software detailing your experience, insights, pros, and cons.
- The first review is free. Once approved, Gartner will pay for the subsequently authorized reviews.
Gartner rigorously vets every review before it is published on its website.
Every approved review is paid $25, and every reviewer can write up to 10 reviews per year. By simply writing reviews, you can earn as much as $250 every year - and that’s a couple of your monthly phone bills covered.
However, there is a small catch. To register with Gartner Peer Insights, they require a business email. Your Gmail or other email service providers won’t work here. That said, it's an easy workaround if you want to choose Gartner to get paid to write reviews online.
3. Slice the Pie
If product reviews aren’t your thing, you may want to try Slice the Pie to get paid to write reviews online. Slice the Pie is a fun way of earning on the side by reviewing new music and fashion.
Originally a site for music lovers to identify new and upcoming artists, Slice the Pie is now a review website where you get paid to listen to new tracks.
As part of the review process:
- First, you’ll be asked to listen to songs or watch short clips of commercials.
- Then, you will be asked to write a small review.
However, it isn't just music. The other categories include fashion and accessories, and getting started on Slice the Pie is very straightforward:
- Register with Slice the Pie.
- Once logged in, choose your category from music, commercials, fashion, and accessories.
- Hit play and listen to the track for at least 90 seconds.
- Leave your rating and review for others to see.
The best part is that there’s no end to the number of reviews you leave daily. Depending on how many reviews you leave, you can earn between $5-$12 writing for Slice the Pie.
Good to know: On the downside, the minimum withdrawal limit is $10. With the payouts being $.10 – $1, it will take doing a good few of these before you meet the payout threshold.
Are you tech-savvy? Maybe you enjoy testing software? If so, maybe you would like to write for Capterra, which pays $10 for every approved review and is another strong choice to get paid to write reviews online.
Capterra is a software review website that helps businesses find the right software for their needs. This platform has tons of software for review ranging from eCommerce software to CRM Software, accounting software, SEO software, and many more.
All you need to do is:
- Write about your user experience.
- Share your insights about the software.
- List the pros and cons.
You may also be required to send screenshots of the software you are reviewing.
To start with, register on the platform with your LinkedIn account. Reviewers will receive $5 for the first review and then $10 each for ten approved reviews.
Beyond that, Capterra will not compensate you or pay even if you leave more reviews. But then again, $100 is not bad side hustle money either - especially if you combine them with other websites on this list.
Important to know: Every review will undergo a stringent manual approval process before publication. And Capterra doesn't accept new LinkedIn accounts either.
5. Review Stream
If reviewing content or products is your thing, you may want to hook up with Review Stream to get paid to write reviews.
Established in 2005, Review Stream is one of the most extensive review websites online.
Simply put, the website allows you to earn money by reviewing products, and their selection is enormous. From software to electronics, book reviews, art, skincare, and pet products, there’s something for everyone.
Writing content for Review Stream is pretty easy. Just head on to the Content Submission Page and choose the content from:
- ‘How do I’
- In-depth research
Select your category, write the content, add pictures if necessary, and submit.
- You can write about anything on the website. However, Review Stream will pay more if it's a trending product.
- Review Stream pays between $5 to $18 per content/review. However, this price is subject to change depending on the content.
- On a positive note, there’s no limit to the number of reviews you write per day.
- Apart from content and reviews, the Review Stream platform offers its writers other means of earning money. For example, users can also vote on your content. Every vote pays you $0.10.
- Another way of earning money is by answering questions on the website. Every answer gets you another $.10.
6. Harris Poll Online
Want to earn some quick money to use at your favorite store? Consider joining Harris Poll Online.
Harris Poll Online is one of the oldest research firms owned by Nielsen Research Company. With more than 45 years in the industry, it is one of the most reputable survey websites around.
Being a research firm, the surveys you complete for Harris Poll Online will be centered on their recent marketing campaigns. For example, you’ll be asked to view marketing videos by a company and then share your opinion.
You may also be asked to share your opinion through surveys on various products.
For every survey, you’ll earn a certain number of points which you can later redeem for gift cards from your favorite stores including:
- Magazine subscriptions
- Airline miles
In saying that, Harris Poll Online does have a few drawbacks:
- You may not earn big side hustle money on Harris Poll Online. Unfortunately, your earnings from their surveys alone may not amount to much as you get just 3 to 4 surveys per month.
- Moreover, Harris Poll Online is available for US and Canadian customers only.
In addition to surveys, Harris Poll Online also conducts quarterly sweepstakes worth $10,000. All members participating in surveys are entered for the sweepstakes.
Instead of Writing Reviews, Get Paid to Shop
Did you know that you can get paid to shop? Cashback apps are similar to coupons but much better. You can get rebates or cash backs when shopping online on partner brands and retailers.
A 2019 survey stated that shoppers who don't avail of using cashback lose $2.17 billion in cash back during the holiday season.
Yet another easy way to earn money is through cashback apps, where you can get a portion of the cost back. It can be anything from cash, check, or gift cards.
Using a cashback app is easy; all you need to do is:
- Download the cashback app or browser extension.
- Create an account and sign in.
- Choose your favorite retailer and shop via the portal.
Cash-back platforms work on a commission basis. They get a referral commission from retailers and brands they support. They then pass on a portion of the commission as cashback to the patrons.
Some of the best cashback apps include:
- CapitalOne Shopping
- Checkout 51
Our research has found that the cashback app Fetch was downloaded 13.5 million times and Upside 6.2 million times. Groupon followed and took the bronze medal with 4.2 million downloads.
As you can see, cashback apps are worth the effort. After all, earning money when shopping is fun, and the best part is that most of these apps are free.
For more information on the best apps to make money, here is our complete guide!
Get Paid for Giving Your Opinion
Did you know that you can earn hundreds of dollars a year just by stating your opinion? Join American Consumer Opinion and earn rewards for taking online surveys, evaluating products, and testing advertising.
American Consumer Opinion is a membership-based survey platform that offers rewards for those who provide their opinion. With over 40 years of industry experience, American Consumer Opinion has over 7 million members and paid out 35+ million dollars.
Getting started with American Consumer Opinion is easy. To start with:
- Signup with American Consumer Opinion.
- Panel members are expected to take a short survey called Screener First, which usually takes a few minutes. After that, you’ll be paid anywhere between 5-50 points.
- Subsequent surveys are 5 minutes long with easy-to-answer questions. And the points you receive will depend on the product and the survey.
- To get paid you then redeem your points for cash.
On the downside:
- You need to accumulate 1,000 points which takes more than a few surveys.
- They have a high disqualification rate which can go up to 40%.
But, on the other hand, it also has some high earning potential. Some longer surveys even pay up to $50.
Given the current cost of living crisis, that’s $50 that can be put to great use in your household.
Becoming a member of American Consumer Opinion is free. You do not have to pay anything to be a member of the panel.
Start a Review Blog and Earn from Display Ads and Affiliate Sales
If you have your own blog, you get to control the process from the ground up (and maybe learn some vital lessons along the way).
Blogging your first-hand experience can give you more freedom to express yourself. It is also one of the easiest options to earn money writing reviews online.
Starting a blog is easy; All you need to do is:
- Get one of the best walkthrough courses for building an affiliate site such as TASS.
- Buy a domain (or get a free domain name).
- Choose a web hosting service.
- Create your blog.
The challenging part is to monetize it. Keep in mind that it is going to take time before you make any serious money. In saying that, the earning potential here is relatively high.
For example, John Lee Dumas of Entrepreneurs On Fire made $69,879 in the first year alone.
In just ten years, John hit the six-figure mark with his blog. His revenue in January 2022 was a massive $215,205.
Or how about making over $30k per month from monthly affiliate sales?
With a review blog, there are three main ways you can earn money:
- Affiliate Marketing - earn a commission whenever someone purchases a product based on your review
- Brand Collaborations
- Paid Ads
Get Paid to Write Reviews for Testing Products
Did you know that companies pay you to test products? Many companies test products this way to get honest feedback before launching. That way, they can get real feedback and understand how their new launch is received.
Making money testing products is very straightforward. All you need to do is:
- Register with websites (more than one to increase your chances) offering paid product testing opportunities.
- Complete the survey with some personal details, including demographic information. This helps them match you with the right products.
Once you receive the products, you try them and leave your findings as a review on their website. In exchange for reviews, you get rewards or cash to be redeemed later.
Here are some programs that pay you for reviewing products:
- McCormick & Company, Inc.
- JJ Friends & Neighbors
Apart from the companies mentioned above that pay cash to test products, there are those that do not pay you in rewards but let you keep the products.
Regarding payment: how much you earn depends on the type and number of programs you participate in. The more programs you join, the more you earn.
Get Paid to Do Surveys
Ever thought you could earn money by completing surveys? Survey Junkie is an app that pays you to participate in online surveys.
Offering your opinion through online surveys is another way to earn easy money. You need a few minutes every time and can make a few bucks.
Launched in 2010, Survey Junkie is an online survey site with more than 20+ million users (and we put together an overview to see if Survey Junkie is legit). Originally a lead generation website, it has moved up in the Internet world and is now a survey website.
Earning from Survey Junkie is pretty easy.
- Sign up to Survey Junkie for free.
- Complete your profile.
- After creating your profile, you are matched with a survey that matches your profile information. You will also be provided with the time limit and reward points.
- Click on the survey, and you’ll be taken to the survey page.
- Complete the survey to earn points.
The best part about Survey Junkie is its clutter-free website that makes things easy for the surveyors. Furthermore, even if you do not qualify for a survey, Survey Junkie still gives points for trying.
Apart from surveys, you can earn up to $100 by participating in focus groups. Survey Junkie also pays 25 points for joining and 50 more points for completing your profile.
Get Paid to Judge Software
We've saved one of the best methods to get paid to write reviews till last. Did you know that you can make money by reviewing the very software that you use every day? Software Judge pays up to $50 for every successful review that you write online.
Software Judge is a software review website that pays to test and review software, apps, games, and more. They welcome reviews from people who can tell it as it is without any marketing BS.
It doesn't matter if the review is positive or negative; what matters is that you share your honest experience with Software Judge.
Important to remember: you cannot review just any software. It should be those that are listed on the website. They have software from various industries, including finance, business, accounting, home, education, etc.
Getting started with Software Judge is easy. All you need to do is register with them, and now you are ready to leave reviews. Reviewers are allowed to write three reviews per person every day. However, your review will be published only after approval from the Software Judge team.
Regarding payment, you can earn anywhere between $1 – $50 per review. Once you have accumulated $200 in your account, you can request a withdrawal.
Reviewers also have the option of buying products and eBooks if you have at least $20 in your account. Other benefits on the platform include free games and more.
Can You Get Paid to Write Reviews for Google and Amazon?
Google and Amazon are two eCommerce giants that people trust for their reviews.
Did you know that paying for reviews on Amazon is against their terms and conditions? According to Amazon, while reviews are welcome, they should be genuine and without any bias. Fake reviews help neither the company nor the consumer in the long run.
Any reviews written as a promotion or for monetary rewards are not allowed on the platform and will be removed. However, this does not deter sellers from seeking paid reviews.
Paid reviews often mislead genuine customers. Additionally, it can also create a conflict of interest since there’s no guarantee that the review is unbiased.
Google has a review system where you can leave reviews for businesses that appear in Google search results. These are called Google Places Reviews.
However, they cannot be paid reviews and Google has penalized paid fake reviews in the past.
Example of how not to encourage Google reviews to your business: A law firm that used a contest to solicit fake reviews saw all but one of their reviews disappear overnight.
There are many ways to earn money online, with one of them being paid reviews. However, while you may make some money by writing or recording paid online reviews, you can’t depend on it to be a complete source of income.
At best, writing reviews can help you get some nice side hustle money to help with your bills, but it won’t pay your mortgage.
While some websites pay remuneration for the reviews, others stick to just giving you free products, especially if you are product testing. Additionally, some sites will require more detailed reviews than others.
The sites we’ve mentioned are good options for some extra monthly income to get paid to write reviews. It's important to remember to provide honest reviews. This will benefit both you and the website's consumers better in the long run.
If you follow our tips and choose one from our list, you’ll be good to go.
Want to learn step-by-step how I built my Niche Site Empire up to a full-time income?
Yes! I Love to Learn
Learn How I Built My Niche Site Empire to a Full-time Income
- How to Pick the Right Keywords at the START, and avoid the losers
- How to Scale and Outsource 90% of the Work, Allowing Your Empire to GROW Without You
- How to Build a Site That Gets REAL TRAFFIC FROM GOOGLE (every. single. day.)
My top recommendations