What's the best WordPress Theme to use for niche Adsense sites? Is there one theme that should be used all the time? Or should a new theme be used for each site? These are some of the questions that you should consider when building sites. If you are only building one or two larger sites, then this is really not an issue. You just find a great looking theme for your site and go for it!
However, if you are going to be building dozens of small niche sites, in my opinion you will want to use different looking themes for nearly all your sites. The reason? Manual reviews. If for any reason Google decides to manually review your sites, you don't want to get caught with having every single one of your sites looking exactly the same. If nothing looks unique or original on your sites, then this will raise a big red flag to a manual reviewer. Of course, we never know exactly what the Google algorithm or manual reviewers are going to do when they visit our sites, so I believe its best to keep each site looking as unique as possible.
I personally started out building lots of small niche sites about 2 years ago (I built several other larger sites before that were complete flops). When I was building those sites, I used the exact same theme on all of them. All of my sites looked exactly the same with the same theme, same ad layouts, colors, and everything. Since that time, I'm pretty sure these sites were manually reviewed (can you ever know for sure?), penalized, and I had other tough learning experiences. I went on from those experiences to build more unique sites and produced better content, and as a result my Google Adsense earnings have surpassed what they were before these “tough” experiences.
So, I have some background when I state that you want to try to make each site as unique as possible. Yes, its a little more work, but I believe its worth it. Now when I build my sites, I do my best to use a different theme on each site. I certainly have some repeats of themes that I really like; however, I do my best to switch it up. Here are a list of both free and paid themes that I have used in the past for my niche websites.
38 Free Themes for Niche Websites
1. Bluesense – This and Prosense are the 2 themes that I used on all of my sites initially. Bluesense produces the best Click Through Rate I have ever seen. However, lots of these sites got penalized. I don't think it was Bluesense per se that caused it, but the fact that I used the same theme (could have been any theme?) on all my sites. I don't use these themes on new sites now.
2. Prosense Grey – Another free theme by DoshDosh, like Bluesense. (Please note that DoshDosh.com no longer appears to be a working site [which is really sad because it was an excellent blog] so these themes will not be up to date).
8. zBench theme
9. EvoLve Theme
10. Arjuna X theme
16. Mflat theme
18 – 30. Fthemes.com – I have probably used over a dozen free themes from this site. The only downside is they require links in the footer to their sites, the theme will be disabled if you mess with the links. Or you can pay $19 to buy the theme without the links.
Want To Build Smart & Relevant Internal Links...Quickly?
Link Whisper makes it simple to boost your site’s authority in the eyes of Google. You can use Link Whisper to:
- Bring out your orphaned content that isn’t ranking
- Create smart, relevant, and fast internal links
- Simple yet effective internal links reporting: what has lots of links and what pages need more links?
33. iBlog Theme
34. Whitehouse Theme
36. Magnolia Theme
How I Built A Niche Site That Makes $2,985 Per Month
Want to start a niche site that can bring in $3,000 per month… or more? Here I discuss:
- The tools you’ll need
- How to start on a budget
- Best ways to generate an income fast
Premium Themes (Not free)
(See my full Elegant Themes review here).
42. ThemeForest.com – I have purchased a few premium themes from Theme Forest (including the one for the NichePursuits blog!); so there are lots of good options here for those sites you want a real eye catching design for.
To be honest, I have used other themes as well, but I think this is a pretty good list to start with! If I were to go through every single one of my sites, I'm sure I'd find a few more themes, but this should give you some great options.
In a nutshell, there are LOTS of great themes that you can build niche websites with. Finding a great keyword is the more critical aspect, but once you start ranking and getting traffic you can test out different ad layouts or even different themes if you choose to.
Do you have some additional great themes that you would like to share? Leave a comment below with a link to your favorite WordPress themes that you use for niche sites! Or just leave a comment or question to continue the discussion.