What Can I Sell on Amazon Without Approval? 23 Ungated Categories
When you buy something through one of the links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
“What can I sell on Amazon without approval?” This exact question crosses every new Amazon seller's mind at some point.
If you want to start selling on Amazon right away, you need to pick products in categories that don't require approval.
In this article, you'll find a list of 23 categories of products you can sell on Amazon that don't require approval.
You'll also find a list of the most popular open (ungated) categories, too.
In addition, we included a list of the most profitable ungated categories and our favorite tool to supercharge your FBA success. Let's dive in!
- What Can I Sell on Amazon Without Approval?
- Open/Ungated Amazon Seller Categories
- What Is an Ungated Category on Amazon?
- Gated vs Ungated Categories
- Why Are Some Categories and Products Restricted?
- Most Profitable Open Categories to Sell on Amazon as a New Seller
- How to Find the Best Products to Sell on Amazon Without Approval
- How Do You Get Ungated on Amazon?
- How to Apply for Approval
- Final Thoughts
What Can I Sell on Amazon Without Approval?
There are lots of products you can sell on the Amazon marketplace without approval. It often depends on the category. And there are tons of categories including Kindle, Beauty, Books, Camera & Photo, Cell Phones & Accessories, Home & Garden, Major Appliances, Musical Instruments, Tools & Home Improvement, and many more.
Each category is divided into subcategories that hold specific products.
There are some categories where sellers don't need approval to sell on Amazon in both the main category and all subcategories. For others, the main category is generally open. However, sellers might need approval for certain subcategories or specific products.
Out of 33 main seller categories on Amazon, 13 are totally ungated. 10 others are ungated but may have subcategories or specific products that require approval.
So, as you can see, those new to selling items on Amazon have a ton of options for products you can sell on Amazon without approval.
You can find a product that fits into your niche market and start selling products on Amazon without approval. Here's a full table of all the products you can sell on Amazon without approval, including the conditions allowed and extra details.
Open/Ungated Amazon Seller Categories
- Amazon Device Accessories.
- Amazon Kindle.
- Baby Products (excluding apparel): certain subcategories require approval.
- Camera & Photo.
- Cell Phones & Accessories.
- Grocery & Gourmet Foods: certain subcategories require approval.
- Health & Personal Care: certain subcategories require approval.
- Home & Garden.
- Industrial & Scientific.
- Kindle Accessories and Amazon Fire TV Accessories.
- Major Appliances.
- Musical Instruments.
- Office Products: certain subcategories require approval.
- Outdoors: certain subcategories require approval.
- Personal Computers: certain subcategories require approval.
- Pet Supplies: certain subcategories require approval.
- Software: certain subcategories require approval.
- Tools & Home Improvement.
- Toys & Games: certain subcategories require approval. Additionally, approval may be required during the winter holiday season.
- Video Games: approval may be required for specific products.
Make sure to do some research on the guidelines for sellers of each category. But don't worry we got you covered down below – keep reading!
Want to know how Spencer of Niche Pursuits went from $0 – $4,399 in 30 days with Amazon FBA? Check out the ultimate guide to Amazon FBA in 30 Days here.
What Is an Ungated Category on Amazon?
To put it simply: ungated categories on Amazon are categories of items that don't require approval to sell, so you can start selling products straight away.
When you begin selling on Amazon, getting approval for gated products can range from being a hassle to downright impossible.
As a result, it's best for those new to selling items on Amazon to get started with ungated categories. This is because selling in ungated categories allows you to get going immediately.
Some ungated categories feature popular and profitable products, too. Many of them are top-selling items.
In addition, good performance in ungated categories makes it easier for you to get approved for gated categories later on.
Find out more in our detailed guide on how to ungated on Amazon.
Gated vs Ungated Categories
The main difference between the two is that gated categories require you to get approval to sell on Amazon, and ungated categories do not.
To make it easy for you, Amazon has a broad list of categories. Each tells you which ones require approval, which have extra steps to start selling, and which ones require no special process at all.
Why Are Some Categories and Products Restricted?
The reason some products and categories are restricted on Amazon is simple: it's because they want to protect their customers.
As a new seller, Amazon has no idea who you are. Because of this, they don't know if you're trustworthy. Also, they don't know if your products are satisfactory.
As a result, Amazon has placed restrictions on certain product categories. Gated categories are typically categories where it's easier for scammers to sell faulty or fraudulent products.
For example, categories like collectibles and fine art require approval due to the valuable and rare nature of the items.
Here's a quote directly from Amazon:
“We want customers to be able to shop with confidence on Amazon. For certain products, brands, categories, and sub-categories, Amazon requires sellers to obtain approval before listing products for sale. The approval process may include document requests, performance checks, and other qualifications.”
The purpose of gated categories isn't to make it harder for you to have success as an Amazon seller. It's to protect their customers.
Most Profitable Open Categories to Sell on Amazon as a New Seller
There are a lot of great open categories on Amazon that have the potential for massive profits with top-selling items.
If you want to hit the ground running with some of the top Amazon categories, check out this list!
These categories feature some of Amazon's best-selling products and they don't require approval to sell.
The category popularity percentage is from Jungle Scout's 2021 State of the Amazon Seller Report.
- Home & Garden: 40%
- Sports & Outdoors: 21% (sports is ungated, outdoors may require approval for certain products)
- Toys & Games: 19% (category is ungated, but certain sub-categories or products may require approval)
- Beauty & Personal Care: 19%
- Health, Household, & Baby Care: 18% (categories are ungated, but certain products or sub-categories may require approval)
- Tools & Home Improvement: 14%
- Pet Items: 13% (ungated, but sub-categories may require approval)
These are some of the most popular open categories.
Of these, which are the most profitable product market niche categories?
Most Profitable Open Amazon Seller Categories
From another study by Jungle Scout, we see that Amazon business owners gain the most profit in the open categories below.
Profit margins are shown in percentages.
- Home & Kitchen: 23%
- Pet supplies: 23%
- Beauty & Personal Care: 23%
- Office Products: 22%
- Sports & Outdoors: 22%
- Health, Household, & Baby Care: 22%
- Baby: 22%
- Tools & Home Improvement: 21%
- Toys & Games: 21%
- Garden & Outdoor: 21%
As you can see, there is plenty of room for profitability in Amazon's open categories for new sellers.
How to Find the Best Products to Sell on Amazon Without Approval
One of the most time-involved tasks as an Amazon seller is figuring out which products you want to sell.
That is, of course, if you aren't using tools like Jungle Scout to give you a hand.
If you want to find the best products to sell without approval, I cannot recommend Jungle Scout enough.
In fact, Spencer (the founder of this website) used Jungle Scout to build multiple six-figure Amazon FBA businesses.
Jungle Scout is a leader in Amazon FBA education, product research, and much more. We have an in-depth Jungle Scout review here.
This web-based app takes important metrics from Amazon. As a result, they help sellers make profitable product decisions. You can use it as a web app or a browser extension or both.
As a new Amazon business owner, it's important for you to learn how to find profitable products. You want to be selling products that don't require approval but also haven't overly saturated the site. Finally, they should have consistent buyer demand.
And with Jungle Scout product research software you can do all of those things. Here are some of the top features:
- Opportunity Finder: use this for keyword research to uncover high-demand, low-competition keywords to find products with maximum profit potential.
- Product Tracker: use this to save and monitor product ideas. Track them over time to understand the sales history, monthly sales volumes, whether there is consistent demand, and see how well they sell and perform seasonally.
- View real-time sales data to see how well a product is selling right now. See which products are the top-selling items and analyze their performance to determine strategies for future success.
- Jungle Scout Academy: use this to go beyond the basics and learn all the ins and outs of being a professional seller.
Jungle Scout Discount
Niche Pursuits readers can get a 30% discount on Jungle Scout at the button below. If you want to fast-track your success with FBA, Jungle Scout is an essential Amazon seller tool.Jump-start Your Amazon FBA Business With Jungle Scout
How Do You Get Ungated on Amazon?
So what do you do if you want to sell in the categories that are restricted or require approval?
There are plenty of open categories on Amazon with many top-selling items. However, you can find some of the highest profit margins in gated categories.
Whether you're doing retail arbitrage or own brand, private label selling, you may want to get into a gated category.
Open product categories are great places for those new to selling items on Amazon to start. But, eventually, some sellers will want to get into restricted categories, too.
The process for category and/or subcategory approval may be different. It all depends on which category or type of product it is.
However, once you get through the approval process, you'll have more opportunities. Getting into gated categories opens up additional inventory, and, as a result, additional profit opportunities.
Additionally, there is minimal competition in restricted categories. This is because most people won't do the extra work to get access to gated products.
Categories that Require Approval
- Automotive & Powersports.
- Collectible Coins.
- Entertainment Collectibles.
- Fine Art.
- Sports Collectibles.
- Video, DVD, & Blu-ray.
- Amazon Handmade.
- Gift Cards.
There are additional subcategories in some of the ungated categories that require approval, too.
Selling in Amazon Gated Categories
There is no “one size fits all” method to getting approval for Amazon's restricted categories.
Each restricted category and subcategory has different requirements for approval.
For some categories, it may be as easy as applying for approval. This is because some have automatic approval.
For others, you may have to hit certain metrics, be on a certain seller plan, or more.
Depending on which product category you want to sell in, you can see a list of detailed instructions at Amazon Seller Central.
Navigate to your desired product category and click on “Seller Guidelines”. Here you can find out how to get approval or who is eligible to sell in it.
How to Apply for Approval
To determine whether or not you are eligible to sell a certain product, log in to your Amazon Seller Account. Then, head to the Amazon Seller Central dashboard.
Next, click the “Inventory” drop-down menu and click “Add a Product”.
Search for the product you want to sell and then select “Listing limitations apply” to the right of the product.
If you see a “Request Approval” button, you can click the button to begin the application process.
If you go through this process and don't see the button, that means that Amazon is not accepting applications to sell the product at that time.
Categories like Fine Art are extremely hard to get into because Amazon restricts the number of sellers in this category.
Amazon categories that are not accepting new sellers or applications will have a highlighted yellow note at the top of the page.
By now you know what you can sell on Amazon without approval – and the opportunities abound.
There are a handful of restricted categories on Amazon. However, the reality is that some of the most profitable products live in the ungated categories!
If product research in the open categories feels overwhelming, I highly recommend Jungle Scout.
Jungle Scout was made by Amazon sellers for Amazon sellers. It has so many tools, resources, and education for every step of your Amazon selling journey.Try Jungle Scout Today
Want to learn step-by-step how I built my Niche Site Empire up to a full-time income?
Yes! I Love to Learn
Learn How I Built My Niche Site Empire to a Full-time Income
- How to Pick the Right Keywords at the START, and avoid the losers
- How to Scale and Outsource 90% of the Work, Allowing Your Empire to GROW Without You
- How to Build a Site That Gets REAL TRAFFIC FROM GOOGLE (every. single. day.)
- Subscribe to the Niche Pursuits Newsletter delivered with value 3X per week
My top recommendations