In podcast 19 of the Niche Pursuits Podcast, I was able to sit down with Elaine Heney and discuss her business of building mobile phone applications. She has currently built over 200 iPhone or Android Apps and only started about a year ago!
I was completely amazed at the success she is having, and knew I had to have her on the show.
Elaine has an interesting story because she’s not a programmer and was just tired of working for someone else (sound familiar?). After creating her first app, she saw a little bit of success…not much, but enough to keep her intrigued by the app market. As a result, she did something that I could never do…she quit her job before she was really making much money!
She decided that she was going to give herself a few months to do nothing but work on her iPhone app business…and well, it turns out that it worked big time!
She has now built over 200 mobile phone applications and is comfortably living off this full-time business. She share tips on building iPhone apps and more on her blog at: TheChocolateLabApps.com.
What’s Covered in the Podcast?
During the course of this interviewed, I personally learned a lot. And I’ve built an iPhone app before!
One of the most intriguing tips that Elaine shared was the fact that you can buy existing source code for mobile app! And you can often do it for very cheap. She shares her methods for doing market research, finding what’s selling, and then finding existing source code for very cheap to match those hot selling ideas.
So, rather than spending $3,000+ to get an app built from scratch, Elaine is able to get her apps up and running with original graphics, etc for less than $500 many times.
Overall in this podcast we cover these topics and resources:
Want To Build Smart & Relevant Internal Links...Quickly?
Link Whisper makes it simple to boost your site’s authority in the eyes of Google. You can use Link Whisper to:
- Bring out your orphaned content that isn’t ranking
- Create smart, relevant, and fast internal links
- Simple yet effective internal links reporting: what has lots of links and what pages need more links?
How I Built A Niche Site That Makes $2,985 Per Month
Want to start a niche site that can bring in $3,000 per month… or more? Here I discuss:
- The tools you’ll need
- How to start on a budget
- Best ways to generate an income fast
- Elaine’s background before building mobile apps
- Why she went into the app business
- The story of her first successful app (its about horses).
- The life-cycle of an app – from finding an idea to selling it.
- How much money she is making from her mobile phone apps
- Why she feels that people starting right now can still be very successful
- Websites to buy source code from: ChupaMobile.com, SellMyApp.com, and SellMyApplication.com
- Resources to use for market research: AppCodes.com, SensorTower.com, and TopAppCharts.com
- You can also check out ALL of Elaine’s apps right here (will open iTunes): https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/elaine-heney/id532878323
- Follow along with Elaine on her blog at: TheChocolateLabApps.com.
Overall, this is an information heavy podcast on how to build an iPhone app business from the ground up.
I have to admit that my head is swimming with ideas now after doing this podcast. Too many ideas, too little time.
As always, I would love to hear your thoughts, comments, or questions below. Thanks for listening!