Whether you're a professional author or you just dabble in story writing, it isn't always easy to write fictional stories at the pace that you need. The good news is that AI story generator software has improved drastically over the last couple of years, so if you're looking for a tool to help you write stories, there are plenty of good options to choose from.
In this article, we're sharing eight of the best AI story generators available right now. We will walk you through the features of each one, as well as the pros and cons, so that you can decide which one is right for you.
- What is an AI Story Generator?
- The Best AI Story Generator Tools
- Who Should Use an AI Story Generator?
- What are the benefits of using an AI story generator tool?
- Do AI story generators create original content?
- The Verdict: Which is The Best AI Story Generator Overall?
- Writing AI-Generated Stories
What is an AI Story Generator?
AI story generator software assists with story writing, helping you to create a unique, high-quality, and original story at a pace that can't be matched when creating something manually.
Different AI story generator tools work in different ways. However, they usually allow you to add your own prompts before generating the story.
Some people use AI story generator tools to write the whole piece that they want to create, and others use them as a starting point to help with creating imaginative, fictional content.
Whatever your needs are, with a range of AI story generator tools out there, there should be something that suits your needs perfectly.
Of course, this type of tool can be used to create a range of text content, including stories, ads, blog posts, and web content.
With the ability to enter topics, keywords, and even guidance on the tone of voice, AI story generator technology can now help anyone create well-written content quickly and easily.
The Best AI Story Generator Tools
1 – Jasper
Jasper (formerly known as Jarvis AI) is one of the most popular content writing tools for bloggers and niche site owners, but you might also be surprised to learn that it's a great tool for creative writers too!
The Jasper AI software is always learning and therefore is consistently getting more effective at generating new ideas. To start writing a creative story using Jasper, you will need to select the creative story template.
Simply outline your plot and select the tone of voice you want to write in, hit ‘generate' and Jasper will generate your first paragraph for you.
You can then paste this into the ‘long form content' writer, and Jasper will continue to generate content based on what you've started with.
If you don't already have an outline or plot for your story idea, you can head to the ‘Recipes' section of Jasper. Here you will find a range of pre-built workflows that other users in the Jasper community have created.
You can use these workflows to help you generate your own stories by adding your main character along with other details, or create a recipe of your own.
- The editor is easy to use
- Creates content quickly
- Recipes can help create a repeatable process for future stories
- Only supports limited languages
- It can sometimes repeat sentences
Packages start at $29/month for 20,000 words. Their pricing page has a handy slider bar which helps you work out what your ongoing monthly costs would be. Jasper offers a free trial too, which you can use to create up to 10,000 words.
2 – Rytr
With AI technology that allows you to create content in up to 10 languages automatically, Rytr is great for those that create content for an international audience.
This AI writing tool also allows you to pick things like writing tone and story plot to ensure that the content you create is perfectly matched to your needs.
Simply input text as you go and click “Ryte more” to help nudge the content that is being created in the right direction.
- It supports several languages
- Free plan available
- Includes a plagiarism checker
- Story plot feature helps to create engaging stories
- It can be hard to understand instructions if you're new to the software
- Low credit limits on the Saver plan
To get you started, Rytr offers a free plan which gives you 5,000 characters per month. Next up is the Saver plan which costs $9/month, and gives you up to 50,000 characters per month. If you need to create more than 50,000 characters per month, then you'll need their Unlimited plan, which costs $29/month.
3 – CopyAI
CopyAI is an AI text generator that enables you to create various types of content, from something as short as a headline to something more significant like a short story.
It has a range of built-in tools to help ensure that the content created matches what you need it to do.
It generates up to 10 results at a time, so you can check which you like and edit anything that you need; or, ask it to create more content if you're not 100% happy with any of the original options it has generated.
- Can create SEO-friendly content
- Over 50 pre-made tools to help with quick content generation
- Easy to use for creating headlines, short stories, etc.
- It can be slow at times
- It can be clunky when creating long-form content
If you only need to create a small amount of content each month, then CopyAI offers a free package. However, if this is not enough, then the paid plan costs $35/month (if paid for annually), which gives you unlimited content creation rights each month.
4 – ShortlyAI
One of the best things about Shortly.AI software is that it offers unlimited words each month, so it's perfect for those that have plenty of content to create. It comes with built-in templates to help write AI-generated stories.
It's generally classed as one of the easier-to-use platforms and comes with a grammar checker tool as standard.
- Easy to use
- Creates a variety of content, including creative stories, blog posts and emails
- Lets you create unlimited words each month
- Not the cheapest option on the market
- Sometimes, content that is supposed to be factual is inaccurate and need to be edited
ShortlyAI has one package, which is $65/month if paid annually or $79/month if paid month-to-month.
5 – StoryLab
StoryLab AI is an AI Content Generator packed with useful features to help you write engaging content. Alongside its many other writing templates, this AI tool includes a blog post story generator. This feature provides you with a title, outline, and introduction, which you can then continue to work with to write your story.
- Blog title suggestions and intro generator built-in
- It can be used to create marketing content as well as creative writing and blog posts
- It doesn't work with long AI-generated scripts
- Not the best option for plot outlines and character development
StoryLab has a free option that includes 15 AI runs per month. At $7/month their starter version offers 100 AI runs, with $20 giving you access to the pro version at 300 AI runs per month. The Unlimited version kicks in at $27 per month.
6 – NovelAI
NovelAI uses two main features to help writers craft engaging stories. First, Storyteller helps to create stories that are both interesting and engaging for the reader.
Second, Writing Style is a tool used to emulate other famous authors' writing techniques and styles. It also has a unique ‘Lorebook' feature, which lets you choose a general directional focus for your AI generated story.
- Optimized for mobile-friendly use
- High-quality output for fiction with a view to quality structure and writing output that flows naturally
- Unlimited AI output generation
- Low cost
- Only geared towards fictional copy output.
- It only supports writing in the English language
This tool is initially available as a Free Trial, with up to 100 free generations. The plans start at $10 per month for the tablet plan, then $15 per month for the Scroll plan and $25 per month for the Opus plan.
Once you have completed the free trial, they all offer unlimited AI generations each month.
7 – Sassbook
Sassbook is a great option for those looking to boost their creative writing. It allows you to select both keywords and creativity level before getting started. Choose from Conservative, Balanced, and Inventive to help give your story creation the right twist.
- Allows you to enter keywords and a prompt for guidance
- Great options for configuring content in advance
- Can add links, which can sometimes be useful for link building
- Only creates a paragraph at a time, so it can be lengthy for long-form content
- Sometimes adds links where you do not want them to be
Sassbook offers a free package for basic content needs. If you want to create more content, the Standard package starts at $15/month.
The Premium package costs $25 for unlimited content creation and 100 words being generated at a time. This makes it an affordable way of investing in an Ai story generator tool.
8 – DeepStory.AI
Although DeepStory can create a range of content, it is a great option for film script creation. You can create a range of scripts and plot lines using its AI technology.
Select from a pre-inputted list of films to use as a guide for your script creation regarding characters, plot lines, etc.
- Free to use
- Writes unlimited text
- Set things like genre and topic in advance
- A limited number of reference movies are included
- The text doesn't always feel as human-written as other AI tools
The software is in its beta stages, so to use it on a personal level, you can use it for unlimited text each month at no cost. A prompt on their website does ask you to get in touch if you want to use the AI-generating software for commercial use.
Who Should Use an AI Story Generator?
Anyone that wants to create a story will be able to make use of an AI story generator, especially if they use it in the right way. For some, creating a story based on their original idea seems an impossible task, and as such, they use the AI story generator tool to help them create the whole thing.
Others want a piece of software that helps give them a nudge in the right direction when it comes to creating content, with the option to finish the story themselves.
People that could make great use of AI story generator tools include:
- Content creators
- People who want help with SEO
- Those stuck on ideas/creativity
- Anyone experiencing writer's block
- Writers who need something created quickly
When it comes to using AI story generator technology, there are no right or wrong ways, it's simply about using the software in a way that works for you.
What are the benefits of using an AI story generator tool?
- Creativity – Even the best storytellers can get stuck in a rut when it comes to creating new stories and thinking of new ways to tell tales. AI story generators are always at the top of their game when it comes to being creative.
- Speed – No matter what typing speed you have, there is no way that you will be able to write content at the same speed as an AI story generator.
- Beat Writer's Block – There are many reasons why you might suddenly get writer's block and feel that you simply can't create anything new. AI software doesn't get tired, feel stressed, or get distracted, which means that it never suffers writer's block.
- Tell a Great Story – Using your prompts, AI story generator tools can help you tell your story in a way that will capture the imagination and that people will enjoy, all with minimal thought and effort needed from the author.
Do AI story generators create original content?
The idea behind AI story generators is that they help the creator to put together original content at a faster speed. AI content is relatively new, but the technology behind it has advanced by leaps and bounds over recent years, which means in many ways, they now create better content than ever.
Most of these tools allow you to put in prompts, subtitles, and other pieces of information to help carve out content that will match your needs.
The technology behind these tools generally pulls information from several online sources to help create your piece, which means that you end up with a piece of writing that is original and unique.
The great thing about AI story generators is that they allow you to put in prompts, keywords, and directions for the content, which means that you're far more likely to get something you can use rather than just a random piece of content.
The Verdict: Which is The Best AI Story Generator Overall?
When it comes to choosing the best AI story generator, everyone will have their own differing opinions on what is best. This is because everyone has different needs from software like this.
Many people consider Jasper to be the best one because it has so many different features and benefits. However, for some people, they want something much simpler and easier to use – which means that Jasper wouldn't be the choice for them.
When it comes to choosing the AI story generator that you want to use, the best thing you can do is research and make use of free trials.
This gives you the chance to read up on what different tools do and how they match with what you need, alongside trying them out for yourself, which always helps when it comes to choosing.
Of course, for many people, budget will be an issue. It could be that a free AI story generator will do just what they need without a hefty price tag.
Which is the best free AI story generator?
There are a few good options to choose from if you're looking for a free AI story generator.
For most people, Rytr is the best free option, and you can easily upgrade to a more advanced version if you need to.
DeepStory.AI is another good free option for fiction and fantasy writers. However, it's important to note that it's still in the beta stages of development.
To find the right free AI story generator for you, you should spend some time testing the free options out there and see how they match your needs.
What is the best AI story generator for advanced writers?
Jasper is one of the best AI story generators for advanced writers. The powerful software uses GPT-3 and Natural Language Processing (NLP) AI technologies to create high-quality content that a human could have written.
Advanced writers will want something that matches their professional language and tone, and Jasper has the ability to do this really well.
Jasper also enables the writer to provide as much or as little input as they want. This means writers can speed up their output without losing their creative edge.Try Jasper Here
Writing AI-Generated Stories
With any artificial intelligence technology that helps creators, everyone will have different likes, needs and expectations. There is no ‘one size fits all' option for software like this.
Instead, it's worth taking the time to research the options available to see what suits your needs and skill level. This will enable you to make an informed choice on what the best AI story generator tool is for you and your creative writing.
You may also be interested in this list of free AI content generators.