I'm happy to bring you another podcast interview I did recently with an Amazon seller.
The guest on the podcast today is Pilar Newman. She has been selling on Amazon for about 8 years, and has really honed her skills for finding and selling products through the Amazon platform.
Pilar applies a lot of the tactics other guests have shared in the past. However, where she is different is how she is capitalizing on trending items that are selling really well. Rather than selling the actual trending item itself, she thinks of unique items that are complimentary to the trending items.
As a result she is able to sell unique products, but still capitalizes on the big trends that are taking place.
I think this is such a smart strategy. Pilar is able to stand out from the crowd by having a unique item; however, she still has the market validation of these related hot selling items.
After recording the podcast, I really did walk away fired up and excited to implement some of the strategies that she recommended. Some of the ideas she talked about really can help open up your eyes to what is possible on Amazon, and in particular how you can create unique products.
Need Help Launching Your Amazon Product?
Join Niche Pursuits Insider to Get Access To Our Amazon Product Selection Blueprint + Get Your Questions Answered In Our Members-Only Facebook Group.Learn More
Topics Discussed on the Podcast
- Pilar has a sales background
- Selling on Amazon for 8 years
- How a sales background has helped her in Amazon FBA
- Why starting with your target audience is mind is so important
- How here nephew's request for a toy, led her to selling on Amazon
- How Pilar makes close to $1 million a year in sales across various niches
- Why most of her products are no frills in terms of branding, etc.
- Why she looks for trending items and categories
- How she capitalizes on trends by selling complimentary products
- Why building great relationships with your suppliers in China is so important to find new products
- How to find great agents in China
- As an experienced seller, how she goes with her gut to decide whether or not to sell a product on Amazon
- Why Pilar does NOT recommend trying to sell a private label version of the best selling items.
- Why profit margins are more important than sales velocity
- Why she is actually much more concerned with picking great products than promotion
- Why Pilar turns on Amazon sponsored ads right away
- General keyword strategies, and why she doesn't like really long product titles
- How she is starting to get some interest from retailers
I hope you enjoyed the podcast interview! If you have any additional comments or questions, feel free to leave your thoughts below.