What Can I Donate to Make Money? Here Are 8 Great Ideas
When you buy something through one of the links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you want to buy something, make extra cash on the side, earn more money, or what have you, why not make a donation? "But what can I donate to make money?" you might ask. Well, many things as it turns out!
We will dive into these in this article, discussing why you should make particular donations.
We will also list down websites where you can make donations in exchange for cash (but is a site like Omaze legit? We found out). It should serve as useful reading material for anyone who wants to donate and make money. Hope it's helpful!
Donating jewelry can help other people—not just give you extra money and a money-making opportunity.
In 2021, the value of the global jewelry market was $249.01 billion. And because the jewelry industry has a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 8.5%, why not make the most of the lucrative nature of the jewelry industry?
Places where you can donate jewelry in exchange for money:
- Cash For Diamonds USA - It specializes in diamonds of all kinds: diamond wedding bands, loose diamonds, diamond rings, chipped diamonds, and more. After appraising an item, it will offer cash for its worth.
- Cash For Gold USA - It buys gold jewelry pieces. It appraises jewelry first before setting a price. Once a price is ready, it will arrange free shipping and pay you within 24 hours.
- Circa (a.k.a. Mondiamo) - The company is exclusive to buying diamond jewelry. Like the others, it also appraises a piece of jewelry first.
- I Do Now I Don’t - As the “largest jewelry buyer,” it offers free appraisals and wishes to offer the most competitive buying price for jewelry.
- The Diamond Valet - Security, convenience, and customer satisfaction are its goals. It buys diamond engagement rings, stud earrings, and tennis bracelets.
- The RealReal - It is an online consignment store for buying luxury jewelry (and other fine items). Its physical locations are in Dallas, Chicago, Miami, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C.
- Worthy - It is a luxury auction site that offers the best prices for fine jewelry.
- WP Diamonds - Since 2012, it earned a stellar reputation as a safe online marketplace for donating (and selling) diamonds.
Did you know that if you donate or share your opinion on some websites, you can take home extra cash in exchange?
The rationale is simple: everyone’s opinion matters. Plus, with a significant increase in internet penetration and controversial issues worldwide, you can also expect a rise in the need for opinions.
Places where you can donate your opinion:
- InboxDollars - Here, you can earn an average of $0.40 per hour for sharing your opinion and completing surveys. You can receive a $5 welcome bonus if you are a new user.
- Survey Junkie - This survey aggregator also features a points-based system with a simple dashboard. Here, you can make about $1.50 for every hour.
- Swagbucks - While it offers many survey opportunities, it also has frequent disqualification options. It can reward you with about $1 for every hour. It can also present you with sweepstakes and gift cards.
- MyPoints - The average earning is about $1. Unlike other survey sites where you can express opinions for cash, it offers easier survey questions.
- OneOpinion - It is an incredible survey aggregator with a reliable screening process. On average, you can earn about $2 per hour you donate your opinion.
- Opinion Outpost - It is a simple website with a straightforward points-based system. On average, you can earn $1.50 for every hour.
- Toluna - It lets you answer surveys (about your preferred topic) for about $0.70 per hour.
Clothes and Apparel
Find out how to sell used clothes online - it's ideal if you have too many of these items lying around your home.
Yes, you can recycle or upcycle them. You may even give them away to your relatives and friends. But you can also earn money from them.
Why not put to good use the clothes and apparel you do not use anymore?
Places where you can donate clothes and apparel:
- DePop - It attracts a younger customer base because of its more modern collection and contemporary website style. Anyone can donate and list clothes here. Then, DePop gets a 10% fee on the sale price.
- Grailed - Its focus is on menswear—men’s shirts, sneakers, and belts. Creating a listing is free. If an item sells, the site takes a 9% commission.
- ThredUp - Its system resembles that of a thrift store. You can donate clothes here and set your price. You can also check out the affordable ones listed here.
- Tradesy - It is a sleek resale website that lets you donate high-end clothes. Tradesy slashes a $7.50 commission from every item you sell under $50.
Giving away your old toys seems challenging if you or your children haven't outgrown them yet. But you must do it to make more room in your home.
To make the process less challenging for you, donate them to toy lovers out there. A bonus is you can make money in exchange.
Places where you can donate toys:
- Brian’s Toys - It only accepts unopened toys. If you have unopened ones, go to its website, say your intention to donate it for cash, and receive a quote.
- Children’s Orchard - If you have toys that are in excellent condition, bring them here. The company can even immediately provide you with cash in exchange.
- Comics N Toys - A massive comic book and action figure collection will work to your advantage. On this site, you can donate them and make good money in return.
- DNR Collectibles - Here, you can donate action figures, model vehicles, die-cast toys, barbie dolls, and trains at your price. Once you arrange for a pick-up, it will set things in motion and pay you cash once it receives your toy donations.
- Dylan Universe Comics - If you have Star Wars, He-Man, Godzilla, G.I. Joe, and other vintage stuff from the ‘80s (or earlier), you can donate them here and make a fortune.
- Kid to Kid - The goal of this site is to let every kid enjoy the toys that the older kids have outgrown. Once you donate your items here, you will immediately receive cash.
- Once Upon a Child - Bring toys for an OUAC employee to inspect, and you will receive an offer. If you accept the price, finalize the donation and go home with extra cash.
- Rogue Toys - It exchanges cash for donated toys if they are Marvel, DC, Transformers, and other well-known brands.
If you are an avid book reader, here is an easy way of making money: why not donate your old books to people who are just like you?
Places where you can donate books:
- AbeBooks - If you have many books to donate, you can create a professional account on this platform.
- BookScouter - It lets you donate as many books as you like. You can use BookScouter on mobile devices or computers.
- Bookstores - One woman discovered a hard-to-find book here and was very grateful. So, if you have a set of hard-to-find books, why not donate them to this website and get money in return?
- CASH4BOOKS - It is a buyback website that encourages students to save money in exchange for textbooks. Every textbook with a publication date of 2018 (and beyond) is a gem.
- SecondSale - As an online marketplace exclusively for book lovers, it does not disappoint. Booklovers can donate their books of any genre here.
- Sell Back Your Book - Here, you can donate any book you do not want anymore—fiction, dictionaries, encyclopedias, and educational resources.
- Textbookrush - Enter this website, give essential details about the books you want to donate, and receive an estimate. If you want to accept the offer, print the free shipping tag, and send the book to the company.
- Textbooks.com - The way it works is like an online bookstore. You donate textbooks, and the company will inspect them to see how much it is worth.
Investing in the latest smartphones, laptops, and tablets is a way to stay trendy. But accept that three (or so) years later, you need to buy a new batch.
Look out for the sites below if you want to sell your used electronics to fund new purchases.
Places where you can donate electronics:
- BuyBackWorld - It is a place where you can donate almost any used electronics. It accepts all brands. And as a kind gesture, it compensates you well through PayPal, direct deposit, or other methods.
- GadgetGone - This site lets you donate your electronics quickly. Just answer a few questions, and you are ready to give it away.
- Gazelle - This site is picky with the electronics it accepts. If you plan on donating here, ensure your electronics are in near-mint condition at the very least.
- Gizmogo - Donating broken and non-working electronics and getting cash seems odds. Not for this site, though.
- GreenBuyback - It features a set of categories on its website. If the electronics you want to donate do not belong to those categories, you may request a custom quote.
Maybe you are about to move to a new place. Or, maybe you want to replace your old furniture and redecorate your home.
Either way, you want to replace your furniture. To do that, donate them and make extra cash in return.
Places where you can donate furniture:
- One King’s Lane - You may donate high-end furniture in this furniture shop. People who stumble upon your donations can give you cash in exchange.
- Fernish - It is a no-fuss website that allows you to donate used furniture and pay you for what these items are worth.
- Recycled Modern - People who adore secondhand vintage furniture will love making donations to this website. Because Recycled Modern renovates the donated furniture and gives it a contemporary twist; the new furniture becomes attractive and unique.
- Rejuvenation - If you want to donate luxury vintage furniture, this is the ideal place. Plus, you can view a collection of priceless furniture by visiting this used furniture site in Oregon.
- Sunbeam Village - If you are in Los Angeles and you have vintage furniture to donate, this is the place where you can exchange it for cash. It lets you donate and sell every piece of vintage furniture (and home décor) available.
Donate bits of yourself
News about people selling a kidney (and other body parts) or making an egg donation or sperm donation is not rare. But, some websites that facilitate these transfers are conducting illegal operations that can endanger donors.
The sections below contain information on what you can donate legally.
Bone marrow donations are life-saving. Not only that, but you can get up to thousands of dollars by donating bone marrow, according to Business Insider.
National Donor Marrow Program is a donor registry that performs thorough due diligence on bone marrow donations. However, you can proceed with the donation only if it evaluates you and shows you are qualified.
If you have praiseworthy hair care habits, put them to good use by selling hair. Many people need hair—from those who suffered hair loss to hair salons.
Places where you can donate hair:
- BuyAndSellHair.com - It is the top hair marketplace. And you can list your hair here as you attract high-paying clients. The fee is $14.50 every three months.
- HairSellon - It features a hair price calculator that tells you how much your hair is worth. If you sell hair on this site, you control the price, and potential buyers can negotiate.
- Online Hair Affair - This site receives a lot of traffic, and if you donate your hair here, prepare to pay $12 each month. It features a category not available on other hair sites: gray hair.
- SellHairStore.com - It is an international hair marketplace. If you want to donate your hair without any fee, you can advertise it on this site.
- World of Wigs - If you want to donate your hair to wigmakers, this is where you can do it. Send it to the company for inspection. And once it finds value in your hair, you get a check.
Skinvertising or using your skin as an advertising medium may be an odd concept to some. But, others find it one of the simplest ways to make money and generate passive income.
Some time ago, a site (LeaseYourBody) made the process effortless. It brokered arrangements between:
- The person who wants to be a skinvertiser and
- The brand that wanted to advertise on their skin.
Nowadays, that site does not exist anymore. But opportunities are still lurking around if you want to go into skinvertising and make a quick buck.
What you can do is be open to opportunities. Pay attention to the discussions of those who support skinvertising. For example, follow social media brands that want to advertise. If they mention skinvertising and something about needing a model, take it as a cue to approach them.
So how much can you make selling plasma? Plasma can reverse the situation of a person in critical condition and quickly put them in good health. If you want to donate your plasma, be ready to undergo an excruciating process but it may be worth it.
Places where you can donate plasma:
- BioLife Plasma - It is an industry leader that collects high-quality blood plasma. In exchange for a plasma donation, you can receive $30 to $40 for every visit.
- BPL Plasma - This donation center has stringent health and safety protocols for donating plasma. $20 or $50 per plasma donation is yours.
- CSL Plasma - Like most plasma donation centers, it conducts many medical studies—a reason it explicitly advertises a great need for plasma donors. In exchange for easy money. For every donation, donors can get up to $1,000 in their first month.
As test subject
Signing up to be a test subject for medical research is risky. You may be donating eggs, helping people with autoimmune diseases and blood clotting disorders, testing fertility drugs, and more.
When it all comes down to it, offering yourself to science is a brave thing to do. You get to help further medicine and improve the quality of life, on top of getting a lot of cash in exchange.
A place where you can sign up as a test subject is the Worldwide Clinical Trials. It conducts medical studies in many fields. And most studies focus on improving the lives of the elderly. In exchange for your participation, you can get compensated well and get up to $13,200 of extra money.
Hopefully, the suggestions above helped you answer the question, "what can I donate to make money!"
Earning extra money is like having the ability to buy more freedom. With more money comes more freedom. Not only is this freedom, but it’s also for you and your loved ones.
With more freedom, you can experience better things. You can have more chances to invest in new ideas and money-making pursuits, engage in more hobbies, and have more time to enjoy your life.
Besides, earning money lets you fight back against inflation. With the rising costs of food, gas, and utilities, you are powerless against inflation—unless you take the initiative to generate more income.
Want to learn step-by-step how I built my Niche Site Empire up to a full-time income?
Yes! I Love to Learn
Learn How I Built My Niche Site Empire to a Full-time Income
- How to Pick the Right Keywords at the START, and avoid the losers
- How to Scale and Outsource 90% of the Work, Allowing Your Empire to GROW Without You
- How to Build a Site That Gets REAL TRAFFIC FROM GOOGLE (every. single. day.)
My top recommendations