As I mentioned in a recent post, my iPhone app that I have been working on is nearly complete! In fact, I have a working version of the application and am really enjoying using it myself. However, I've hit a bit of a snag in getting approved to the Apple developer program that I wasn't expecting. Let me share what's going on.
So, I applied to the Apple Developer Program with my business entity about a month and a half ago. Apple wanted some business documents to show that it was a legal entity and verify ownership, etc. This makes sense. So I faxed over the required documents and received a response from Apple that they had received them. I figured this would take a week or 2 to get approval. Apparently, I was wrong. Its been about 6 weeks now and I have not heard anything back from them. Apparently getting a business entity approved for the developer program is very time consuming.
However, thanks to a comment on my last iPhone app update, a user who had been through a similar experience suggested just applying under my personal name. So, I finally did that yesterday. The approval was automated! So, all I did was submit some electronic information, pay my fee, and I'm now approved! Sweet!
So, now I can submit my iPhone App for approval whenever I want.
If you are out there trying to get your business entity approved to the Apple Developer Program, just be aware that its a long process. Apparently it can take months. From what I had read online previously, I was expecting about 2 weeks. Nope, not the case at all!
However, I was happy with how quick the personal approval is. All this means is that instead of displaying my business name as the creator of the App, it will have my personal name next to it. This is really not a big deal. Hopefully this app will be successful, and I will have many more in the future that I can put under my business entity once its finally approved.
Going forward, I still have a few things to do before I officially submit the app to be approved. I need to get a basic website up for the app along with a support page (required by Apple). I also need to prepare some screenshots, write an enticing description, and research the optimal keywords to use in conjunction with the app ( so people can find it when they search the app store).
Overall, I am getting very close to being able to submit it to the app store. I expect to be ready to go by the end of this month. I could do it much sooner, but since I have several other projects getting completed this month as well – that time frame works well for me.
Anyway, just wanted to give a quick update with what's going on with my iPhone App “Niche Pursuit!” If you want to catch up on what I've done with this project over the past few months, here are some posts:
I would love to hear your thoughts and comments below.
Update 5/28/2012 – My iPhone app Ad Alert is now available. You can check it out in the App store.