Podcast 77: How to Hire a Great Software Developer and the Story of Long Tail Pro
When you buy something through one of the links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you haven't had a chance to read that blog post yet, I highly recommend that you do so here.
These blog posts are part of a 5 part series that I'm doing on how to bootstrap a software business. You can read part one of the series right here.
Because I've actually been involved in a couple of different software projects, and I highly successful one (Long Tail Pro), I think sharing some of the Long Tail Pro story along the way makes sense as I teach these principles.
In a nutshell, Perrin and I discuss on this episode:
- Budget needed to bootstrap a software business
- How I hired my first developer for Long Tail Pro for just $2,500
- How miscommunication lead to one of the worst dilemmas I've ever dealt with in my business.
- How my developer held me hostage with some source code
- How I found my next great developer
- Strategies to weed out the bad and find the good developers
- The importance of discussing deliverables before the project starts
- Advantages and disadvantages of having a tech partner
- Additional tips for boostrapping
Overall, I hope you enjoy this episode of the Niche Pursuits podcast!
My top recommendations