What’s The Best ExpressVPN Alternative? Here are 9 Great Options!
When you buy something through one of the links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you’re looking for an ExpressVPN alternative, we got you covered.
ExpressVPN is a widely used virtual private network (VPN) with more than 3 million active subscribers. And as you may already know, virtual private networks are privacy and security tools that encrypt users’ data and browsing history.
With a service like ExpressVPN, everything you do online remains anonymous and away from prying eyes.
However, ExpressVPN is not the only tool to do this job well. Others perform as well as ExpressVPN in protecting users’ online privacy.
This article will list nine ExpressVPN alternatives to consider, examine the pros and cons of each, and provide pricing details. This way, you can intelligently compare your options and choose the best VPN service for your browsing needs.
In a rush?
Our top pick for an ExpressVPN alternative is NordVPN. It's one of the biggest and most popular VPN services on the planet and for good reason. It works across all devices and operating systems and does an excellent job of keeping your information encrypted and accessible all in one place.
- Surfshark VPN
- CyberGhost VPN
- IPvanish VPN
- Private Internet Access VPN
- Proton VPN
- Mullvad VPN
- What to Look for When Choosing an ExpressVPN Alternative?
- Choose the ExpressVPN Alternative That's Right for You
With over 14 million users worldwide, one of the most popular VPN services today is NordVPN.
It's a very worthy ExpressVPN alternative. It provides private internet access at excellent speeds—no annoying buffering that slows down your internet connection.
This VPN service protects all the devices you use for work, play, or casual browsing, including Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android, and even Android TV. Moreover, you get an encrypted proxy extension for Chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge.
Once enabled in Settings, NordVPN’s new Threat Protection feature serves as your 24/7 sentinel. It tirelessly watches in the background to prevent malware, intrusive ads, trackers, and malicious URLs from damaging your devices or data.
Like the other ExpressVPN alternatives you'll find on this list, with NordVPN, even when using unsecured public internet connections, the encrypted tunnel the VPN provides keeps your real IP address, online data, browsing history, and files safe from online threats.
All NordVPN one-year and two-year plans come with three months of free subscription plus a 30-day money-back guarantee. For the most savings, choose from three two-year plans:
- Standard: Priced at $2.99/month, this plan offers a high-speed VPN connection and advanced security features such as malware protection, tracking, and ad blocking.
- Plus: Priced at $3.99/month, this package includes all Standard features, plus a cross-platform password manager (which you can use as a LastPass alternative) and a data breach scanner.
- Complete: Priced at $5.29/month, this plan supports all Plus features plus an additional 1TB of encrypted cloud storage.
Pros and Cons
- Proven fast and effective by trusted review sites like CNET
- Offers unique VPN protection features, including Meshnet, Threat Protection, and Dark Web Monitor
- Allows customers to get their dedicated IP address
- Can support up to six devices simultaneously, more than the average (five) offered by competitors
- More expensive than some other ExpressVPN alternatives
PureVPN has 6,500+ servers in 78+ countries worldwide, enabling users to access content instantly and download files securely. It also keeps their online identity and browsing activity anonymous. This allows them to stay safe from the clutches of thieves and hackers.
It enables peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing using dedicated P2P servers located in countries where P2P sharing is legal.
PureVPN also supports numerous security protocols, including Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP), Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP), WireGuard, Internet Key Exchange Version 2 (IKE2), and OpenVPN.
As an ExpressVPN alternative, PureVPN enforces a no-logs policy. There's also an internet kill switch feature that automatically terminates your internet connection if the VPN disconnects.
PureVPM uses the AES-256 encryption standard to encrypt and decrypt data as well.
Their customer service team is available 24/7 through tickets, email, and chat, and if you’re unsatisfied with the service, you get your money back within 31 days.
Subscription to PureVPN starts at $10.95/month, which is pretty heavy on the wallet.
But if you get the 12-month plan, you only pay $3.24/month, a 70% price slash.
At 1.99/month, the 27-month plan is the most affordable option. All plans offer a 31-day money-back guarantee.
If you need more features, add-ons like PureEncrypt, PurePrivacy, and PureKeep are available at $0.99, $4.99, and $1.99, respectively.
Pros and Cons
- Certified no-log VPN by third-party audit firm KPMG
- Features add-ons you can attach to your basic subscription, including PureEncrypt for file encryption, PurePrivacy for digital security, and PureKeep for password management
- Offers numerous security features, such as a kill switch for DNS leak protection, split tunneling, and 256-bit AES encryption
- Overall, cheaper than other VPN services
- Latency and kill switch issues on Windows
Another worthy contender on this list of ExpressVPN alternatives is Surfshark VPN.
With its expanding array of privacy features and no limit on simultaneous connections, it more than makes up for the steep monthly price point of $12.95/month.
It supports multi-hop routing and split tunneling, blocks unwanted ads and trackers, and prevents malware from infected websites from penetrating your devices, let alone damaging them.
Surfshark VPN employs numerous VPN protocols for secure and fast internet connections, including WireGuard, OpenVPN, and IKEv2.
It uses random access memory (RAM)-only servers to protect users from the risks associated with hard disk drives (HDDs) servers.
Finally, Surfshark uses an IP rotator to change IP addresses while maintaining your VPN connection. This makes tracking the browsing experience harder for online threats.
Surfshark VPN offers multiple subscription options: monthly, yearly, and two-year plan that includes three months free.
Users pay $12.95/month for the monthly plan, $3.99/month for the yearly plan, and $2.05/month for the two-year package. All plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Pros and Cons
- No cap on the number of devices that can connect simultaneously
- Robust security tools, including ad and tracker blocking, anti-malware, anti-phishing, and two-factor authentication
- Allows VPN bypassing for specific websites and applications, such as mobile banking apps
- Independently verified security
- Does not effectively unblock specific streaming sites, such as Disney Plus
Next our list of ExpressVPN alternatives is CyberGhost VPN.
With over 7,000 servers in more than 90 countries worldwide, CyberGhost enables anonymous browsing, fast downloads, and streaming content blocked in your country or location.
Users get access to torrent sites to download files securely. To be clear, CyberGhost VPN discourages downloading copyright-protected content.
But, at the same time, this ExpressVPN alternative believes in everyone’s right to safe and anonymous access to torrent sites for legal downloads. It enforces no bandwidth limit, so file downloads require minimal wait time.
For data and browsing activity protection in public places where unprotected Wi-Fi is usually the only way most users connect to the internet, CyberGhost VPN employs robust security protocols, including the 256-bit Advanced Encryption Standard (AES).
In case of server drops, CyberGhost’s automatic kill switch prevents data leaks that allow malicious actors to eavesdrop on or intercept your communications.
You can start anonymizing your internet activity using CyberGhost at $12.99/month. With this plan, you get:
- Ironclad military-grade encryption: Protect yourself from malware, government censorship, and network attacks.
- Protection on all your devices: Keep all the devices you use protected. One subscription provides simultaneous security for up to seven devices.
- Money-back guarantee: Not satisfied with your purchase? Get your money back within 14 days—no questions asked!
For more extended periods of protection, subscribe to CyberGhost’s six-month plan for half the price: $6.99/month. To save even more, get the 26-month plan (2 years + 2 months) for only $2.19/month.
Pros and Cons
- Strict no logs policy keeps your data safe and your browsing activity anonymous
- Provides apps for Windows, macOS, Linux, and more
- Automatic kill switch for DNS hosting leak protection
- Free VPN trial that provides access to all premium-level features
- 45-day money-back protection for multi-month subscriptions
- Does not effectively unblock certain streaming services, such as UK Netflix and Disney Plus
IPvanish VPN is another solid ExpressVPN alternative that thousands of Trustpilot reviewers rank as "excellent."
It provides private internet access by routing internet traffic to a server you choose from 2,000+ servers in 75+ locations worldwide.
And it makes use of its 40,000+ IP addresses shared among IPvanish users to mask your real IP address and anonymize online activity. This way, no internet activity can be traced back to an individual user.
Unlike ExpressVPN and CyberGhost, IPvanish supports unlimited simultaneous connections. You only need to install it on each device you want to protect, including Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Fire TV, and more.
IPvanish uses multiple VPN protocols, including WireGuard and OpenVPN. It offers high-speed internet connections while protecting gamers and streamers from distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks.
At $3.99/month, you get the most bang for your buck with a yearly IPvanish subscription. It lets you save 63% compared to the monthly $10.99 subscription.
Plus, it includes ransomware and malware protection, so you can rest easy knowing you have that extra layer of security. There's also a quarterly plan that costs $5.32/month.
Pros and Cons
- No limits on bandwidth and the number of devices connecting to the VPN service simultaneously
- Strict no logs policy and gathers as little data as possible
- 40,000+ shared IP addresses for anonymous online browsing
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Does not effectively unblock streaming services such as Netflix
Private Internet Access VPN
Private Internet Access VPN is an ExpressVPN alternative that provides excellent speeds for as little as $2.03/month. It is one of the cheapest VPN services, but it doesn’t compromise quality.
Headquartered in the United States, Private Internet Access (PIA) offers solid VPN protection features. It includes split tunneling, adware, malware blocking, kill switches, dedicated IP addresses, and many more.
PIA also uses the WireGuard VPN protocol to provide fast, streamlined internet connections for various online activities, including unblocking websites, downloading files, bypassing government censorship, and streaming content.
PIA uses 100% open-source VPN applications. This means its source code is available to the public for inspection.
If you want to protect your identity further, PIA is one of several VPN services that accept anonymous payments in the form of cryptocurrency and third-party gift cards.
You can subscribe to PIA for a monthly fee of $11.95. For a one-year subscription, pay only $3.33/month, which equates to $39.95/year.
To get the best deal, sign up for a three-year plan and score three months free at $2.03/month.
Pros and Cons
- Pain-free signup process
- Up to 10 devices connecting simultaneously
- Strong torrenting performance and streamlined streaming capabilities
- Customizable security settings and variable encryption levels
- Includes a DNS-based ad-blocking feature to protect users from trackers, ads, and malware
- Proven no-logs policy by an independent third party
- Live chat support is not always available
Proton VPN is based in Switzerland and therefore protected by Swiss privacy laws. It is the brainchild of the same team that built Proton Mail, making it one of the most trusted VPN services.
The VPN has 1,800+ servers in 64 countries spanning all continents. It also offers ProtonVPN-unique VPN Accelerator technology that reduces latency. Both features enable the VPN to provide a secure internet connection at excellent speeds.
Security and privacy features that come packaged with a ProtonVPN subscription include the following:
- Secure Core architecture - defends against network-based attacks.
- NetShield - a DNS filter for blocking ads, website trackers, and malware.
- Stealth protocol - which bypasses numerous blocking methods, including firewalls.
ProtonVPN follows a strict no-logs policy, enforces no cap on data or speed limits, and allows paid subscribers to connect up to 10 devices simultaneously. If you change your mind about the service, you get your money back within 30 days, guaranteed!
ProtonVPN offers three paid subscription packages. The first two are the monthly and yearly plans. The last are two-year plans at €9.99 ($9.89 USD)/month, €5.99 ($5.93 USD)/month, and €4.99 ($4.94)/month.
All plans support worldwide streaming, P2P/BitTorrent file sharing, one-click Tor-over-VPN routing, malware, ad blocking, and 10 simultaneous VPN connections.
It also has a free version. But it's limited to one connection, medium speed, and servers in the US, Japan, and the Netherlands.
Pros and Cons
- Unlike most ExpressVPN alternatives on this list, ProtonVPN offers a completely free VPN version. Paying ProtonVPN subscribers to subsidize the free service
- Excellent collection of security and privacy features such as the NetShield ad blocker, Stealth VPN protocol, and the Secure Core architecture
- Offers 100% open source apps for transparency
- VPN Accelerator technology that speeds up VPN connections by 400%
- Limited live chat availability
Another effective ExpressVPN alternative on the market is VyprVPN.
According to actual users, it has high success rates at evading censorship, particularly in authoritarian regimes like China. VyprVPN provides apps for various devices, including Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, QNAP, Anonabox, and Blackphone.
Hundreds of VyprVPN-owned servers are spread across the world. The VPN has 300,000+ available IP addresses for anonymous and secure browsing.
It uses split tunneling technology and DNS leak protection to optimize the user experience while ensuring privacy. And just like all the ExpressVPN alternatives we’ve discussed, an automatic kill switch prevents data leakage in case the VPN is disabled or disconnects.
Recently, VyprVPN introduced new features to serve its customers better. These include specialized and obfuscated servers. This way, even your internet service provider cannot know you’re using a VPN.
VyprVPN provides two subscription options: monthly at $10/month and yearly at $5/month. Both plans are covered by a 30-day money-back guarantee, come with apps for all your devices, and supports up to 10 simultaneous connections.
Pros and Cons
- Provides easy-to-use apps for a wide range of devices
- Independently audited no-logs policy
- Compatible with the WireGuard VPN protocol
- Protected by Swiss privacy laws
- Provides 24/7 live chat support
- Does not effectively unblock specific streaming sites, such as Netflix
The last ExpressVPN alternative in the list is Mullvad VPN.
Also a no-logs VPN service, it comes with apps for Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android devices, and a nifty Firefox browser extension.
It lets you do the following:
- Stream content and play games at comparatively fast speeds.
- Allows up to five devices to connect to the VPN simultaneously.
- Supports torrenting, port forwarding, and multi-hop routing.
- Features high-end privacy and security tools. These include multiple VPN protocols, an automatic kill switch that cannot be disabled, DNS leak protection, and AES 256-bit encryption.
Mullvad values privacy and security and goes to great lengths to demonstrate this. But what concerns most users is that it’s based in Sweden, a Fourteen Eyes jurisdiction. Mullvad VPN has 800+ servers worldwide.
Mullvad VPN’s pricing model is pretty straightforward: €5/month, whether you pay monthly or yearly. Suppose you’re not happy with what you're getting. In that case, this VPN service provider offers a 30-day money-back guarantee for all types of payments except cash—due to anti-money laundering policies, according to its website.
Pros and Cons
- Independently audited app
- Source code is open to public viewing and scrutiny
- Proven fast speeds by actual users
- Minimalistic, easy-to-use apps for all your devices
- Based in Sweden, a member of the Fourteen Eyes surveillance alliance
What to Look for When Choosing an ExpressVPN Alternative?
As you can see, so many great virtual private network solutions are vying for your attention, and it can be challenging to pick the right one. To get the most out of a VPN service, either for personal or business use, consider the following:
Fast Internet Connection
A high-speed internet connection should be non-negotiable.
Of course, numerous factors outside the control of your VPN provider can affect connection stability. But when it comes to the VPN service itself, you should be able to choose the best configuration for your intended activity.
This is whether to unblock websites and stream content, download files, browse the web anonymously, or something else.
There are two primary jobs of a VPN. The first is to provide private internet access. The second is to keep users safe from cyber predators even when using unsecured public internet connections.
Your chosen ExpressVPN alternative must include security features and mechanisms that guarantee online security and privacy. These must include a no-logs policy independently reviewed by a third party, an automatic kill switch, anonymous IP, etc.
Military Grade Encryption
“Military-grade encryption” is a phrase that refers to the AES-256 encryption standard. It has been the most reliable in protecting even top-secret government, financial, and military information.
So, choose a VPN service that offers this type of protection.
High-speed connection and robust encryption aren’t the only features of a VPN provider. Ask around to see how a VPN’s technical support team works.
Do they provide 24/7 service? A number you can call? Or can you only email them at certain times of the day?
You want a dependable team on your side. This way, you know that you have available help at any time should a hiccup occur.
Ease of Use
Using a VPN protection solution should not be a “jumping through hoops” experience. The user dashboard should be easy to navigate and must include an information summary of all connected devices and various other statistics that are important to you. This way, you can maximize the VPN's features and benefits.
Choose the ExpressVPN Alternative That's Right for You
With online security and privacy constantly at risk, VPN solutions are quickly becoming necessary. Because they protect user identity by masking your actual IP address, in jurisdictions where censorship is the norm, they provide the ability to browse the internet freely.
And although ExpressVPN is arguably one of the best VPN services with its proven performance and vast collection of features, each ExpressVPN alternative above can hold its own.
Want to learn step-by-step how I built my Niche Site Empire up to a full-time income?
Yes! I Love to Learn
Learn How I Built My Niche Site Empire to a Full-time Income
- How to Pick the Right Keywords at the START, and avoid the losers
- How to Scale and Outsource 90% of the Work, Allowing Your Empire to GROW Without You
- How to Build a Site That Gets REAL TRAFFIC FROM GOOGLE (every. single. day.)
My top recommendations