7 Best Podcast Software Tools to Grow Your Audience
When you buy something through one of the links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Successful content creators, entrepreneurs, and side hustlers are always on the lookout for new technologies and tools that can make media production easier. And with podcasting on the rise in recent years, finding the best podcast software is crucial for streamlining your workflow and creating quality content.
So to save you time and get you started with your podcasting adventures, we’ve gathered the top 7 best podcast software options currently available.
These tools help to make your media production process easier, from recording and editing podcasts to sharing them with the world.
So let's find the perfect fit for you!
- What's the Best Podcast Software For Me?
- The Best Podcast Software: Paid & Free Winners
- Choosing the Best Podcasting Software
- Final Thoughts: Best Podcast Software Options
What's the Best Podcast Software For Me?
We've researched and vetted the top 7 podcast recording and editing tools so you can choose the one that works best for your skill level, budget, and personal preferences:
Castos is one of the most popular and easy-to-use podcast hosting software options available on the market. You can manage both audio and video files and get plenty of data letting you know who is listening to or watching your content.
It also has the capacity to be added to WordPress as a plugin that integrates all of your media seamlessly on your site. Or, if you like straightforward software, you can simply use the independent program.
Here are some of the features that keep podcasters coming back to Castos:
- It's super easy to import earlier podcast episodes from your previous platform into Castos with the click of a button.
- You can create private podcasts for members or for monetization, as well as public episodes.
- Listeners can choose their favorite hosting service to listen to your podcast on, which makes for a very user-friendly experience.
- When you link your YouTube account to Castos, it automatically syncs your episodes to the platform when they're published, saving you time.
- All plans provide unlimited storage, making this the best recording software for high-volume podcast recording.
Want to learn more about this powerful software? Check out our interview with Craig Hewitt, Castos founder and CEO.
Audio Podcasting is available for $19 per month, Audio Podcasting with Republishing costs $34 per month, offering the same features plus automated republication, and Video Podcasting comes in at $49 per month.
The well-known podcast recording software Podbean is great for both audio recording and audio editing. It has a handy mobile app that allows you to level up your phone into a high-quality recording tool.
As we discuss in our Podbean review, this is perfect for podcasters who work in the field or need to record audio on the go. The software also includes more than 50 musical audio tracks as well as sound effects that can add more atmosphere to your audio recording.
It also comes with additional leveling and editing tools to make your audio quality as professional as possible.
Some additional features of this audio editing software include:
- An all-in-one solution that allows you to record, edit, remaster, and host your podcast in the same place without needing to sign up for multiple platforms.
- Unlimited storage and bandwidth plans on paid options, perfect for growing podcasters.
- A custom podcast website that allows you to showcase and organize your podcast episodes.
- Excellent compatibility with any OS, including iOS, Android, and Windows, making it a good podcast recording software when working on various devices.
Podbean offers a free plan, an Unlimited Audio plan for $9 per month, an Unlimited Plus plan for $29 per month, and a Network Plan for $79 per month.
Buzzsprout vs Podbean: Which is the best podcast software overall? Read our comprehensive review to decide which is right for you.
If you're looking for a digital audio workstation that automatically edits your recordings, Auphonic may be a good choice for you.
It's not a podcast recording software but an audio editing software that automatically analyzes and improves your recordings with noise reduction and leveling technology. It also generates a transcription of your recording that you can use for SEO purposes.
This makes it the best podcast software program for those who need an editing assistant at an affordable price.
- You can export your podcasts to well-known programs such as Dropbox, Google Drive, Soundcloud, or YouTube.
- Additional automatic editing features include cross-talk removal, audio ducking, and noise gate.
- Organizing your audio recording is easy, with chapter marks and metadata integrated into the tracks.
A free version of the Auphonic software lets you edit up to 2 hours of audio each month, which is great for dipping your toes in. Premium versions of the program range from $11 to $99 per month.
Restream is a live-streaming and recording software that is great for professionally producing podcasts in real time. Podcasters have a lot of control over their audio recording with features like remote guest invitations, record-only mode, custom branding, and the ability to upload pre-recorded video and audio files.
This is a comprehensive broadcasting digital audio workstation that's perfect for podcasters who are looking to produce high-quality audio for their listeners.
Some features of the software include:
- Flexible recording options allow you to go live with high-resolution 48kHz audio files, noise suppression, stereo, and echo cancellation.
- A good amount of cloud storage, 100GB, makes it easy to access and organize your audio files across different devices.
- Team collaboration features allow you to assign roles and collaborate with other users within one Restream account.
Restream is a free podcast recording software for beginners. Pros can choose between a variety of paid plans ranging from $16 to $249 per month.
Novice podcasters who are a bit intimidated by the process of audio recording love using Alitu, which is specifically built with the beginner in mind.
It focuses on simple, clear and easy-to-learn features rather than complex editing software features.
It's also an affordable program, making it a good early investment. The quality of the audio is a bit subpar than others on this list, but it shouldn't be a problem for those learning how to master the basics of podcasting.
There also isn't an audio app, so make sure that you have an appropriate recording device for your computer before diving into the program.
The top features of this podcast recording software include:
- 1-click audio enhancement without any previous knowledge of podcast recording or audio editing
- Drag-and-drop style editing tools that work with a variety of audio formats and are intuitive to use
- Instant and seamless podcast publishing that helps you to get your audio files out in the world effortlessly
Alitu has a flat monthly fee of $38.
Audacity has been around for a long time and is an open-source and user-friendly free podcast recording software. Its UI is a bit outdated, but that doesn't mean it's complicated. It has all of the features needed to enhance and make adjustments to your tracks.
It's easy to export your audio files in various formats so you can make sure that your podcast meets the standards of different streaming services.
Here are some other benefits of using one of the best podcast recording software options on the market:
- Its highly compatible with a variety of systems, including Windows, Linux, and macOS
- It allows you to record audio files at different qualities, 16, 24, or 32-bits
- You can customize and save fading and EQ options, and there's an entire library of audio effects, helping you to produce the best free podcast recording possible
Audacity is completely free open-source software.
GarageBand is the best podcast software program for those who work on an iPad, iPhone, or Mac and want a free option for podcasting recording. However, these days, the software is available on Windows devices as well. It offers multitrack recording, a robust equalizer, audio compression, and plenty of fun effects.
It's easy to add sound effects and music to your audio files as well.
And there's more:
- Integration into the Logic Remote app makes it easy to add a second screen for more space and control over your audio files and editing tools
- iCloud backup ensures your podcast recording is securely stored in an encrypted and easily accessible database
- The equalization and compression features are simple yet powerful editing tools that make it easy to get great-sounding audio clips.
GarageBand is free to use.
The Best Podcast Software: Paid & Free Winners
If you're ready to take the leap and invest in podcast recording software, our top choice is Castos.
This easy-to-use but powerful platform has everything you'll need to create award-winning podcasts. And if you've already begun your podcast recording journey, it can easily and seamlessly import any previous episodes.
It's also one of the best podcast software options for monetizing your content and offering membership programs that allow paying listeners to access private archives.
For those on a tight budget, Audacity is the best free podcast recording software. It's stood the test of time, and since it's been developed as an open-source program, it works on any platform and doesn't have any paid upgrades or hidden charges to worry about.
Choosing the Best Podcasting Software
Ultimately it's best to find a balance between professional and high-powered programs with simplicity and usability when selecting the best podcast recording software for your content.
Here are some additional considerations that can help you choose the best podcast software for your specific needs:
Robust Customer Support
There's nothing worse than struggling with a feature or glitch and spending precious time trying to resolve it. This is where customer support teams come in. Live support, such as chat options, active email support, or phone helplines, all add to the value of your podcast recording software.
Tutorials, forums, and educational newsletters also make using audio recording software a breeze.
File Storage Capacity
Look for a program that offers enough storage space for your audio files, video files, and sound effects. Some programs have unlimited storage, while others offer more storage depending on your tier of membership.
Be sure to compare the total cost of the software with your budget. Free options can be a great way to get started, but they may not offer all the features you need or may require an upgrade eventually.
To get your podcast paying for itself as quickly as possible, check out our article on How to start a podcast and make money.
Having powerful editing tools can really transform your podcast recording. However, too many features can complicate the process and slow you down. Make sure to find the right balance and only lean into additional editing features as your editing proficiency improves.
Final Thoughts: Best Podcast Software Options
Now that you know about the best podcast recording software options on the market, go out and try out a few options! Remember, it's not necessarily about finding the perfect option off the bat but about getting started and experimenting.
If you're a podcast enthusiast, check out the Niche Pursuits podcasts. We cover topics from blogging to podcasting, SEO, and digital marketing.
Be sure to tune in for the latest tips on how to make your own niche pursuit a success.
Want to learn step-by-step how I built my Niche Site Empire up to a full-time income?
Yes! I Love to Learn
Learn How I Built My Niche Site Empire to a Full-time Income
- How to Pick the Right Keywords at the START, and avoid the losers
- How to Scale and Outsource 90% of the Work, Allowing Your Empire to GROW Without You
- How to Build a Site That Gets REAL TRAFFIC FROM GOOGLE (every. single. day.)
- Subscribe to the Niche Pursuits Newsletter delivered with value 3X per week
My top recommendations