Podcast 43: Niche Site Project Update, Disavow Links, and Recovering in Google
When you buy something through one of the links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
As revealed in that post, the site appeared to have been hit with negative SEO. And then when Penguin 2.1 came out in October 2013, the site finally tanked in the rankings (the spammy links obviously being the reason that it was affected by Penguin).
I tried several tactics for over 9 months trying to bring the site back from the dead without much success. However, last week some interesting things started to happen: the site started to rank for keywords and the traffic was increasing rapidly.
The discussion in the comments of that last post was fantastic, so Perrin and I decided to sit down and record a podcast to further that discussion.
What's in the Podcast?
During the course of this podcast recording, we cover a number of topics including:
- The purpose of the original niche site project
- How BestSurvivalKnifeGuide.com ranked #1 in Google and was making $800 a month
- Early detection of negative SEO
- Deep link analysis of the survival knife site
- How the traffic tanked in October 2013
- How I disavowed links at the end of 2013 in Google webmaster tools
- Changing domain names to escape the penalty
- Should niche site builders be concerned about negative SEO
- How my site started to make a comeback last week!
- Did disavow links finally start working?
- Discussion of disavow links and a possible new Penguin update
- Plans moving forward for the survival knife site
Overall, the topics we discuss during the podcast are the same as I wrote about in my last blog post. However, Perrin add his own experiences, and we have a chance to talk things over in more depth than we did in the last blog post.
So, I hope you'll give the podcast a listen…and would love to hear your thoughts below!
Listen to the Podcast
Want to learn step-by-step how I built my Niche Site Empire up to a full-time income?
Yes! I Love to Learn
Learn How I Built My Niche Site Empire to a Full-time Income
- How to Pick the Right Keywords at the START, and avoid the losers
- How to Scale and Outsource 90% of the Work, Allowing Your Empire to GROW Without You
- How to Build a Site That Gets REAL TRAFFIC FROM GOOGLE (every. single. day.)
My top recommendations