You want to write a blog post or email series, but perhaps you know that your grammar isn't the best. As a result, you’re scared you might end up making lots of grammatical mistakes, which could make you appear unprofessional to your audience.
Grammatical and typo errors can be somewhat embarrassing and depressing if ignored, it could (in certain industries) potentially cost you your reputation in your industry but your audience as well.
So should that stop you from writing?
Is there a way out to this problem?
Firstly, I want you to understand that “no one is born a great writer,” writing is an act that can be mastered once you have the required resources and tools.
Therefore, if you are looking for a perfect online proofreading tool and grammar checker that really works, you should check out Grammarly.
I discovered Grammarly a few years ago – and as someone that writes for a living, I regularly use it for proofreading my work.
Because I found this tool really helpful, that’s why I decided to write this Grammarly review so you can see what you’ve been missing. And in this review of Grammarly online grammar checker, I’ll show you all the fantastic things you can do with it.Get a Grammarly Free Trial Here
- Ease of Use - 100
- Stability - 97
- Customer Service - 93
- Price - 90
Overall, Grammarly is superb writing and grammar checker tool, and I'll highly recommend it to every blogger, writer, and student who is tired of making annoying spelling and grammar mistakes while writing. It's pretty easy to use and doesn't require any learning curve. Try Grammarly for Free Now.
- Grammarly is now available for Google Docs
- It has a cloud version so you can access it anywhere, anytime
- It sits on your browser and detects every mistake that you make while writing, makes corrections and sends you a weekly report of your progress
- Unlike MS Word, Grammarly recognizes contextual errors
- It also checks for copied content (plagiarism)
- Grammarly is definitely not a replacement for a human proofreader
- Some writers may not be able to afford $29.99 per month for a grammar checker
- It is not available offline
- 1 What is Grammarly and What Does it Do?
- 2 Grammarly Review | How It Works
- 3 How Much Does Grammarly Cost?
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions About Grammarly
- 5 Grammarly Review | Conclusion
What is Grammarly and What Does it Do?
To put succinctly, Grammarly is the world's best online grammar checker that accurately proofreads your content. It checks blog posts, email series, articles, and book chapters, for common errors and plagiarism.
Within minutes, this tool gives you a list of all the errors and mistakes in your article.
In summary, Grammarly will take care of the following:
- Spell Check: It’s a great spell checker tool.
- Plagiarism: It spots plagiarism, by simply comparing your writing to billions of pages on the internet.
- Grammar and punctuation: Grammarly detects punctuation and grammar mistakes from basic to advance. Aside from that, it also offers guidelines and suggestions on how to correct these errors.
- Writing Style: The tool is also designed to help you self-edit your writing by giving insights about sentence-length, readability score, etc. This is pretty handy for adapting your writing style for a specific audience.
Who Can Use Grammarly?
Grammarly is designed for both native and non-native English speakers. Grammarly is meant explicitly for:
- Copywriters and content marketers
- Email marketers
- Social media marketers
Grammarly acts as a line of defense for most writers, even native English speakers. You can use it to ensure your blog post, book, email, sales page, and article is correct and easy to read.
Additionally, the premium version is mostly useful for students who may want to check a batch of work. You can simply subscribe for a month, proofread your work and then cancel if you wish to. However, be sure you’re not violating any rules and regulations set by your school.
Grammarly Review | How It Works
The first step is to create a free account on Grammarly; then you can quickly take a tour of its editor (which was recently updated), to determine if this tool is perfect for you.
No doubts, Grammarly online grammar checker is fantastic, here’s what the Grammarly Dashboard looks like:
The tool offers you helpful suggestions on your writing effortlessly and quickly, making your writing pretty clear and precise.
Good enough, Grammarly’s feedback can be adjusted according to your preferred writing style – formal, informal, etc. It’s advisable to always set a goal for your writing once you open a new document. You can do this by clicking the “Set Goals” tab on the upper right corner of Grammarly editor.
Ideally, you can set your writing goals based on your:
- Audience, e.g., expert, knowledgeable, or general
- Intent, e.g., inform, describe, convince, or tell a story
- Emotion, e.g., strong or mild
- Style, e.g., formal or informal
- Domain, e.g., academic, creative, casual, business, or technical
In the end, Grammarly delivers useful insights based on your selected goals.
Grammarly Plagiarism Checker Review | The Apps
There are numerous ways you can use the Grammarly software to review your writing. Below are the most common ones:
1. Using Grammarly Browser Extension
Grammarly has a free browser extension, which works on most popular browsers such as Google Chrome, Safari, and Firefox. You can download the extension here to correct your punctuation and grammar errors on the go.
Once you’ve downloaded the extension, log in to your account to get your personalized dashboard.
The good thing is that you don’t need to check the dashboard to use the extension since Grammarly icon sits at every text field you write on your browser and suggests you the errors.
Here are the steps to using Grammarly browser extension:
1. Download the browser extension: Grammarly website is always able to identify what browser you’re using, and gives you an option to download the required add-on.
2. Look at your browser’s toolbar section (In Chrome and Firefox, you can see it just right to the address bar). If you see a “green C button” like on the screenshot above, the installation is done.
3. Henceforth, Grammarly will always check anything you write on your browser for grammatical errors.
You can also decide to disable the extension from checking any particular website for grammar and spelling errors by turning it ON or OFF for that specific website:
2. Using Grammarly Web App
Apart from checking for errors on your browser, the Grammarly browser extension can also be used to access the web app.
For example, if you don’t fancy the live checking option on the browser, you can use the web app for a much more dedicated space. Remember you must be signed into Grammarly before using the extension.
Here’s how to go about it:
1. To use Grammarly web app, the first step is to create a free account. Don’t worry you can select the free version while registering.
2. Click on the browser extension, and you will see a menu that looks like the screenshot below:
3. There are two options at the bottom as you can see; one is the “New Document” tab that instantly takes you to the Grammarly editor.
And the other one is “My Grammarly” tab, clicking on it will take you straight to the dashboard – you can also choose between British and American English.
4. Grammarly allows you to insert text into its editor in three different ways as shown in the screenshot below; you can type directly into it, paste from anywhere or just upload a document.
5. I decided to choose the upload option and here’s what I got:
See it spotted several errors in the article.
When you’re done checking with Grammarly, you can also download the file in the exact format with a click, and Grammarly will save it in the download folder as filename.edited.
3. Using Grammarly MS Word Add-on
If you’re like me who does all my writing on Microsoft Word, and you’re wondering how to use Grammarly with Microsoft Word, I’ve got you covered here as well.
Interestingly, Grammarly does integrate with Microsoft Office through a Word add-on, which you can download here.
NOTE: The Grammarly MS Word add-on is a premium feature. Click here to get the Grammarly MS Word add-on now.
Other noteworthy apps are Grammarly native apps such as the Grammarly desktop software for Windows. This software is useful to use Grammarly directly from the desktop and outlook.
Using Grammarly’s Word Add-on is pretty simple and straightforward – just install it, and it’ll synchronize with your Microsoft Word. When you want to check your writing, simply click on the Grammarly tab on the upper left corner of MS Word as you can see below:
In a nutshell, Grammarly has three apps (Grammarly for Microsoft office, Grammarly for Windows, and Grammarly for Chrome). All these apps are designed to achieve a single purpose – to improve user experience and make your writing easy and error free.
How Grammarly Can Improve Your Writing
1. Grammarly Checks Your Content For Repetitive Word Detection and Correction
As writers, we sometimes use a word way too often than necessary when writing longer form content. These usually go unnoticed to us as the writer, but not the reader and can lead to significant loss of impression.
In the example screenshot below, about how Grammarly pointed out common repetitive words from my writing such as the word “even.”
2. Grammarly Checks Contextual Spelling Mistakes
Want To Build Smart & Relevant Internal Links...Quickly?
Link Whisper makes it simple to boost your site’s authority in the eyes of Google. You can use Link Whisper to:
- Bring out your orphaned content that isn’t ranking
- Create smart, relevant, and fast internal links
- Simple yet effective internal links reporting: what has lots of links and what pages need more links?
If you think you don’t have to bother using a new tool since our traditional MS Word has all the punctuation and spelling corrector built-in, you’ll have to think twice.
Grammarly is instinctive, checks for your writing pattern, and corrects contextual spelling errors that would otherwise go unnoticed when using the regular MS Word.
For instance, words like lie and lay, affect and effect, next and nest are often difficult for traditional word processors to notice.
But, Grammarly spelling checker has corrected thousands of such errors in my writing over time. Below is an example of this feature:
3. Grammarly Checks your Writing with Advanced Grammar rules
Writing grammatically correct sentences might be unnecessary on social media, you still need to be good with grammatical rules such as subject-verb agreement, etc.
In case you don’t know, correct grammar and punctuation are one of the secrets to getting better grades at universities, winning solid business proposals, landing your dream jobs, and even getting a date.
Research carried out by Grammarly confirmed that “98% of candidates who used Grammarly while writing were successful than their friends.”
Grammarly points each grammatical error with green and red underlines – and when you hover your mouse on them, Grammarly highlights the mistake, given you a little info about what went wrong and finally suggesting the correct option.
It’s just like your personal English trainer, right?
4. Grammarly Plagiarism Checker Tool
Grammarly plagiarism checker is undoubtedly the best plagiarism checker tool online at the moment.
Essentially, plagiarism is the duplicate content in a piece of document. Sadly, detecting plagiarism is a huge problem with lots of people especially writers.
And if you’re a digital marketer who outsources blog posts from freelance writers, then you should certainly run the outsourced document through a reliable plagiarism checker like Grammarly.
Similarly, most universities often face a lot of challenges while trying to detect plagiarism among students’ projects. Thus, they prefer checking the assignments with an automated proofreader before submission.
Plagiarism is a big problem because publishing copied content on your blog can put you in a costly problem. That is why you need a plagiarism checker like Grammarly to always be on the safe side.
Another good thing is that Grammarly displays the percentage of plagiarized content on your copy so you can choose if it’s ignorable or not.
The Grammarly online proofreading feature is indeed a blessing for lots of writers like myself who cannot afford an expert human proofreader.
It’s simply the most used online grammar checker and proofreader by millions of professional writers, bloggers, and business persons all over the world.
Other remarkable Grammarly features that made me a lifetime paid customer includes:
- See synonyms and definitions via simple double-clicks
- Free performance stats report occasionally emailed to my personal inbox
- Accessing my documents anytime, anywhere, and on the go
- Add preferred words to my dictionary so that they are white-listed for future writing
How Much Does Grammarly Cost?
Below is Grammarly pricing:
- Grammarly Premium monthly subscription = $29.95/month
- Grammarly Premium quarterly subscription = 19.98/month (billed as one payment of $59.95).
- Grammarly Premium annual subscription = $11.66/month (billed as one payment of $139.95)
Excitingly, you could always use Grammarly for free assuming you want to test it out first before making a purchase (Like I did!).
Grammarly Free Version Vs. Premium Vs. Business
The free version of Grammarly contains most of the features found in Grammarly Premium aside from plagiarism checker, advanced grammar checker, and some other vocabulary enhancement suggestions.
In other words, Grammarly free version is ideal for bloggers and writers with a lean budget.
Additionally, if you're wondering what you’ll get with Grammarly Premium, apart from the fact that it provides detailed info about each of your grammar mistakes, It equally offers extra writing insights and the ability to set writing goals.
How I Built A Niche Site That Makes $2,985 Per Month
Want to start a niche site that can bring in $3,000 per month… or more? Here I discuss:
- The tools you’ll need
- How to start on a budget
- Best ways to generate an income fast
But that’s not all, it also finds and fixes more grammatical errors than the free version.
You can opt for the monthly, quarterly or annual premium subscription. I usually pay for a yearly premium subscription as I consider it a good balance between affordability and handling my expenses.
Grammarly recently introduced a business version. Apart from the features offered on the premium edition, the business version of Grammarly includes features such as:
- Priority 24-7 email support
- Admin and user-management controls for the security and privacy of your team’s work
- Monitoring tools to check engagement trends
- Centralized billing
Grammarly for business costs $15 per month per member and could be an excellent option for a team that needs a spell checker and grammar tool.
Frequently Asked Questions About Grammarly
1. How Accurate is Grammarly and Can It Really Help Writers?
When you click on a grammatical mistake in your article, the grammar checker displays an explanation of the error. All is required of you is to click on the arrow to view more about the suggestions.
Grammarly identifies possible fixes and explanations for your grammar mistakes such as:
- Overuse of passive voice
- Confused prepositions
- Repetitive words
- Common grammar and writing errors like misplaced apostrophes
- Wordy sentences
- Lengthy sentences to edit down
- Spelling mistakes
- Other grammar rules
After using Grammarly grammar checker tool on lots of articles, I discovered that I have a habit of closing sentences with prepositions.
I’m equally guilty of occasionally using squinting modifier. These are some of the writing mistakes Grammarly helped me to spot.
Unfortunately, the inbuilt grammar checkers in Scrivener and Microsoft Word didn’t give me this insight, Grammarly has helped me improve my writing skills over the years.
2. Is Grammarly Secure?
But on a practical note, using Grammarly is just like sending a private email in regards to security. Except you're writing a legally sensitive or commercial document, and your company has a very stern data management procedures, you can use Grammarly without any issues.
I’ve been using Grammarly for the past two years, and I’ve never had any problem with my writing or documents.
3. Will Grammarly work on a Mac?
Yes, you can use Grammarly on your Mac – and there’s a Grammarly Chrome extension as well as one for Safari. You can also use it on iPhone
4. What is the Grammarly cancellation refund policy?
If you buy Grammarly Premium and don’t fancy it, you can contact their support department within a 10-day period and get your money back instantly.
5. Is Grammarly mobile friendly?
Yes, Grammarly can be installed on both iPhone and Android devices.
Grammarly Review | Conclusion
Honestly, I can’t imagine writing without Grammarly as it makes writing pretty fun and easy for me.
It has not only corrected thousands of my grammar and spelling mistakes over the years but has also helped me to improve my writing from the suggestions is makes and useful explanations it provides.
Additionally, Grammarly’s proofreader feature and their contextual grammar and punctuation mistakes checker are by far the best I have used.
In this Grammarly review, I recommend Grammarly to every blogger, writer, and student who desires to write better for business/academic performance or to anyone who wants to learn better English on the go. This is simply because Grammarly does precisely what it promises.
Now, if you’ve used Grammarly in the past, or you’re currently using it, tell us about your experience with it in the comment section. And if you’re using some other websites similar to Grammarly, do let us and others know about it too.Get a Grammarly Free Trial Here
Finally, if you enjoyed this review of Grammarly? Feel free to share!