Don’t tell Jon Haws that he doesn’t own a tech company! Update, Jon now runs Nursing.com! (Which really is a tech company).
Even though he currently spends his days pushing lawn mowers and leading a crew of landscapers, Jon has embraced the internet and so much more to market and run his business.
In fact, if you ask him about his business, the fact that he cuts grass may never come up. Instead you’ll get an earful about long tail keywords, niche sites, subscription based business, auto-billing, lead generation, and more.
Because Jon has been able to think of his company as a tech business, he’s been able to build it to over $70k in revenue in less than 6 months!
How Local Businesses Can Dominate Through Online Marketing
Yes, Jon happens to be my cousin (what up cuz!); which is how I got the scoop on his fascinating story. Not only is his experience very interesting to businesses of all kinds, but the principles he discusses can REALLY help you in your marketing efforts.
Rather than go over his entire story, please listen to the podcast below! Here are just some of the topics covered:
BLITZ DEAL: 50% Off MoneyLab Pro - Annual Plan Only
Courses, Tools, and Community to Make Money on the Internet:
- YouTube for Bloggers: Learn how to make money with a YouTube channel
- SEO For Bloggers: Learn how to get traffic from Google in 12 months or less without building backlinks!
- Asana For Bloggers: Get organized and better at managing your blog.
- PageSpeed for Bloggers: Optimize your WordPress blog to load in under 1 second.
- Affiliate Marketing For Bloggers: Find out everything MoneyLab has to know about making money with affiliate marketing.
- Carbonate WordPress Theme: The WordPress theme MoneyLab uses for all their websites.
- Why Jon put nursing school on hold to start a landscaping business.
- How Jon got his first few customers without a crew, equipment, and living 1500 miles away. (A true lean start-up!)
- Why Jon had to write a business plan and executive summaries for his wife before leaving school.
- How niche sites and long tail keywords bring in 40% of his business.
- The importance of understanding the life-time value of a customer.
- How these online marketing tactics can be applied to any business (and local service businesses in particular).
- How average monthly billing, additional services, and “passive” tactics are all part of Jon’s plan for business growth.
Here are a couple of items or websites that were also discussed:
- Stanford Entrepreneurial Thought Leaders Seminars
- Jon’s Primary Business website: Working4College.com
- Jon’s business Facebook Page: Facebook.com/working4college
Overall, I hope you enjoyed the podcast with my cousin Jon! I would love to hear any thoughts, comments, or questions that you have below.