As many of you are aware, I have been doing a bit of an authority site experiment. The plan was to do something a bit different than my normal niche site strategy. Typically I pick a keyword that gets between 2,000 to 7,000 exact match searches per month (that's my sweet spot), add 5 or 10 articles to the site and try to rank quickly in Google for that keyword. However, this “authority site project” was different in the fact that I picked a keyword that gets closer to 15k searches per month and is much harder to rank for. I also plan to add hundreds of articles and build the site into something much bigger and authoritative within the niche.
Unfortunately, I got off to a rough start (read about my failure here). My initial site dropped in the rankings and I feared that I had been penalized by Google. Instead of spending the next 6 months to a year trying to figure out what happened to my sites, I decided to quickly get back on the horse and buy 3 new domains targeting the same keyword. I did this because I had a suspicion that one of these domains would perform better than the others – not because of what the domain was called or anything like that – but simply because I know that not all sites perform as expected (read about the numbers game here).
Well, turns out my suspicion was correct!
A Jump in Rankings!
You will recall that just a few days ago in my last income report I did briefly mention the rankings of these 3 new domains. Here were the positions in Google for my chosen keyword that I mentioned then:
However, just a couple of days later there was some big movement. As of today, they now rank:
- 500+ (not ranking)
So, guess which one I am going to put some more effort into? Yep, the one that is ranked #28 right now.
And just to clarify, I have done the exact same thing to all sites. I have a few articles on each site targeting the same keywords, articles are essentially the same length, I have submitted one campaign to Unique Article Wizard on MyArticleNetwork.com – that's it. So, I can't really explain the difference other than perhaps some of the links received from these networks were better than others and this has produced the differences that you see.
This goes back to my assumption that sometimes sites perform better or worse than expected for reasons that may be out of your control. So, even though I have done the exact same things to these 3 sites – I apparently am getting vastly different results. Now, let me also point out that these are all very new sites and any one of them could still perform exceptionally well. With more content, links, and promotion I'm sure that any of these sites could still be winners. However, I want to invest in the path of least resistance.
Right now the path that seems the quickest to number 1 on Google is the site that is ranking the best currently – wouldn't you agree? So, I will now start producing some more content (and hopefully LOTS of content) and building more links to my domain ranking at #28 for my chosen keyword.
Confused About Niche Websites?
Join Niche Pursuits Insider to Get Access To Our Niche Site Training Blueprints + Get Your Questions Answered In Our Members-Only Facebook Group.Learn More
Earnings and Plans
Obviously this site has a long way to go, but the 3rd page of Google is not too bad of a start. But what about the earnings?
Well, the site IS getting some traffic right now and does get a click here and there. However, its nothing to brag about at this point. Last month the site earned me $3.56 via Google Adsense and this month has earned $3.16. But I wasn't expecting the site to earn much right away. This is more of a long term project that may take 6 months to a year before I start to see much in return. I am hoping that when I reach the first page of Google for my chosen term (and others) the traffic will start increasing quite a bit.
So, the immediate plan is to start adding around 100 articles to the site over the next couple of months and of course continue link building. Anyway, just wanted to give a quick update on the latest news for my authority site project – let me know your thoughts below!