After a break of about 4 months, I've finally done another podcast! The podcast recording is just me…no guest this time. I felt it was important to say a lot of things that are hard to say in a blog post. I can talk for a half hour and make my points much better than I could if I tried to blog about it.
Also, the picture to the left is me on a hammock in Kauai from my vacation last month. Wish I was back there!
Here are some of the notes from the show that I covered:
- Google has made a lot of changes, I want to provide my thoughts.
- If you have been reading my blog, you know I have changed my focus slightly. Quality over quantity.
- Difficult to provide advice to everyone: A VERY diverse group of blog readers.With so many backgrounds, hard to provide one answer for everyone. The question being: Should you build niche sites that get traffic from Google?
- Affiliate marketers
- Authority blog owners
- Small business owners of brick and mortar business
- Stay at home moms and dads
- Single mothers in Africa
- English and non-english speaking
- Poor, well to do, middle income
- Corporate employees of fortune 500 companies
- Entrepreneurs of all backgrounds and levels
- Possibly CEOs of large companies
- Build your site to get as much Google Traffic as possible, but build your business like search engines could disappear tomorrow.
- For traditional business owners, this is easy to understand – they look at marketing in a full spectrum of opportunities. Google is one source of getting traffic to their business. Other sources include:
i. Paid online ads
ii. Other online traffic generation (outside of search engines)
iii. Word of mouth
v. Sales force
vi. Magazines, newspapers, other offline advertising
vii. TV, radio, and more
As online entrepreneurs, sometimes we have a harder time realizing that Google traffic is just 1 source of traffic. There are lots of places we could be getting ONLINE traffic to our sites:
i. Repeat visitors
ii. Email marketing
iii. Paid ads
vii. Networking with other site owners
Confused About Niche Websites?
Join Niche Pursuits Insider to Get Access To Our Niche Site Training Blueprints + Get Your Questions Answered In Our Members-Only Facebook Group.Learn More
viii. Article marketing
ix. Forum marketing
x. Blog commenting and more
With all the changes, what type of site should you build? A small 5 page niche site, a larger niche site or authority site?Search engines are going to be around for a long time, and they are rewarding high quality sites more than ever. So remember this: Build your site to get as much Google Traffic as possible, but build your business like search engines could disappear tomorrow.
- Talk about 5 page mini sites
- Talk about Large niche sites (Pat Flynn’s security guard training)
- Talk about Large blog (aka authority site)
Why do we build things for search engines still? Because its free! With just a little extra thought and effort, you can take a project you were already working on and make it work well in Google
Lets talk about my business specifically.
- I have lots of small niche sites that get all their traffic from Google.
- But now I’ve built the winners into bigger sites; and they are still ranking.
- Where it makes sense, I am now building an email list for those niche sites. For example one of my niche sites has a list of over 2000 people and I sell an ebook. If Google disappeared tomorrow, I’d still have this large email list full of leads.
- I will continue to build niche sites that get traffic from Google.
- I’ve also created other products.
- So, my income overall is less reliant on Google; however, I still do EVERYTHING I can to get as much Google traffic as possible – you should too.
Overall, I can’t tell you what type of business to run – and so many of you are in so many diverse situations.
End of show notes.
I would love to hear your thoughts on this podcast! Let me know what you think…