Don’t tell Jon Haws that he doesn’t own a tech company!
Even though he currently spends his days pushing lawn mowers and leading a crew of landscapers, Jon has embraced the internet and so much more to market and run his business.
In fact, if you ask him about his business, the fact that he cuts grass may never come up. Instead you’ll get an earful about long tail keywords, niche sites, subscription based business, auto-billing, lead generation, and more.
Because Jon has been able to think of his company as a tech business, he’s been able to build it to over $70k in revenue in less than 6 months!
How Local Businesses Can Dominate Through Online Marketing
Yes, Jon happens to be my cousin (what up cuz!); which is how I got the scoop on his fascinating story. Not only is his experience very interesting to businesses of all kinds, but the principles he discusses can REALLY help you in your marketing efforts.
Rather than go over his entire story, please listen to the podcast below! Here are just some of the topics covered:
- Why Jon put nursing school on hold to start a landscaping business.
- How Jon got his first few customers without a crew, equipment, and living 1500 miles away. (A true lean start-up!)
- Why Jon had to write a business plan and executive summaries for his wife before leaving school.
- How niche sites and long tail keywords bring in 40% of his business.
- The importance of understanding the life-time value of a customer.
- How these online marketing tactics can be applied to any business (and local service businesses in particular).
- How average monthly billing, additional services, and “passive” tactics are all part of Jon’s plan for business growth.
You can check out the interview right here on iTunes or listen below. If you like what Jon has to say, I hope you will leave a review on iTunes right here!
Here are a couple of items or websites that were also discussed:
Overall, I hope you enjoyed the podcast with my cousin Jon! I would love to hear any thoughts, comments, or questions that you have below.
Listen to the Podcast!
Like what you hear? Send a quick tweet about it here! Want to follow along on Facebook? Join the crowd here.
Podcast: Play in new window
How Long Tail Pro Can Help You Capture Way More Search Engine Traffic
If your business could benefit in any way from getting more search engine traffic, I have some good news.
Search engines are in love with long tail keywords! If you are able to provide relevant content targeting these long tail keywords, then you can see a dramatic increase to the amount of traffic Google and other search engines send you.
Long Tail Pro is a powerful keyword research tool that makes finding these valuable long tail keywords a breeze.
What are “long tail keywords”? Essentially, these are words or phrases that people type into the search engines to find very specific things. Rather than searching for “dog training” a user might search for “how to potty train a pitbull”.
This is an example of a Long Tail Keyword. To visualize how Long Tail Keywords work...