As you may know, last year I made over 6-figures from my niche website business.
However, many of you may not know that my 2nd business venture is now just as large as my niche website business. That business is my software business of Long Tail Pro.
How was I able to quickly launch a second successful business?
In a nutshell: Relationships and email.
I was able to build relationships and gain a following through my blog and email subscribers. By providing true value through my blog posts and emails, individuals were able trust me and see the value in my software.
Obviously, this led to sales. I can honestly say that without building an email list, my software business would not be anywhere near where it is today. It’s just smart business to start an email list.
Even if you don’t have a product to sell right now, you should be starting an email list.
For example, Fraser Cain – the owner of UniverseToday.com attributes a big part of the early success of his site to email subscribers. He now receives over 4 million page views each month.
By collecting email addresses for those interested in his site, he has been able to collect a large following of newsletter (email) subscribers.
Although he doesn’t have any products to sell – these repeated visitors to his site eventually turns into more income through advertising revenue.
In fact, I recently did a second podcast interview with Fraser, (the first interview with Fraser is here) where he describes some of the tactics that he has used to boost his business through email. See how to get the 2nd podcast interview below.
He says that email marketing is “essential” for any business.
Are you building an email list like you should?
If not, you should start right away. This will put your business in a position to build a loyal following and build long term success.
How I Get Email Subscribers
I want to give you the exact strategies and placements that are working well for me on my blog: NichePursuits.com.
You can really increase your opt-in rates significantly by doing a couple of simple things. Let me show you what is working, and perhaps what is not working so well.
I have 4 primary opt-in forms on my site that bring in new email subscribers.
1. After Post Opt-in form (lowest opt-in rate of just 0.4%): See image here:
2. Sidebar Opt in form (second lowest rate of 0.9%)…check it out.
3. Free book Opt in form (Highest rate, but not most subscribers). This gets the best opt-in rate because the only people visiting this page want the free book. Its not my highest source of overall subscribers though because not everyone visits this page (only those that find the link). So, the opt-in rate is high, but the visitors to the page is low. I highly recommend you add a dedicated free giveaway opt in page:
4. Splash Page opt in (Up to 9% Opt in rate depending on the version…Most of my subscribers come from this page!!) I can set this page to show to everyone, or only new visitors, or even only visitors to my homepage. Check this out:
So as you can see the traditional opt in form placements of in the sidebar or after the post get subscribers, but they are the poorest performing.
Most of my subscribers come from my Splash page or my free book page. I highly recommend that you implement both of these strategies if you are looking to increase your opt in rates.
First, figure out something you can give-away for free. Then create a dedicated page.
I am currently getting most of my subscribers through my splash page. This is actually the “Welcome Splash” plugin that Chris Guthrie and I developed a couple of months ago.
How to Create a Splash Page
So far, I’ve shared with you what’s working well for me to increase my emails subscribers. Building an email list is critical to your business!
I am now getting most of my daily subscribers through my Welcome Splash Page. Check out this video showing how having a Splash Page can boost your email subscribers: See it in Action Right Here!
As mentioned before, I developed this WordPress plugin, along with Chris Guthrie. We have both been using this with great success on our blogs over the past couple of months.
Now we are letting others get the Welcome Splash plugin at a HUGE discount. (Under $20 right now).
So, if you think you might ever want a splash page on any of your sites, I recommend picking it up now.
Also, the podcast interview I mentioned with Fraser Cain (owns a site getting 4 million unique visitors a month), is one of the bonus offers available. It’s a very interesting interview where he shares his email strategies and how they are critical to his business.
Here are the other bonuses that come with your 1-time purchase of the Welcome Splash plugin:
- Podcast interview with Fraser Cain on how email marketing has been a huge benefit to his business.
- Interview with Danny on how to do email marketing for Amazon Associates sites.
- Interview with Chris Guthrie and I about how we use email marketing on our blogs and specific strategies we use to increase our business.
Overall, these are the strategies and specific opt in placement that I am using and seeing success from. Hopefully you can take a look at what I have done on my blog here and be able to apply some of these strategies on your own sites as well.