No video today. I'm worried about how my hair looks and its just not working right today. Okay, I could care less about my hair – its just quicker for me to type out an update!
I think in the last update I gave, I was still debating exactly what iPhone app idea I was going to pursue. Since then, I have made up my mind to actually tackle an Adsense related App. The idea is an app that allows users to check their adsense earnings, but with a fun twist. I can't give away the interesting twist at this point as that is what makes the app unique.
So, I went ahead and posted a job on Elance and have received lots of bids. The previous app I was considering doing was receiving bids in the $4k to $7k range. The app was a drawing type game and apparently was more work than I had anticipated (more expensive that is). The bids I am receiving back on this Adsense App are more in line with what I was expecting. Its a fairly simple application and the bids are more in the $2k to $4k range.
I think I have found a good designer that can get the job done for just under $3k.
I narrowed down my selection of bidders by emailing all of the promising programmers and asking more detailed questions to make sure they had a good grasp of the project. This is a great way to weed out those who are either non-responsive, difficult to communicate with, or those that really don't know what they are doing. I actually found 2 teams that probably could both do an excellent job. But the one I think I am going with actually has a project manager based in the US (with a phone number…woohoo!) and their bid is a little bit less than the other teams in the running.
So, at this point I have essentially finished out all the wireframes for the app. I want to have all of these in place before I actually select a bidder for the project. I am just using the free Paint.net to draw out some basic wireframes. There is lots of wire frame software out there but I saw no reason to use them over just Paint.net or Photoshop. The idea of a wireframe is to just get the overall flow and different screen laid out.
The next step for me actually will be to work with a graphic designer to turn my wireframes into professional looking graphics and overall user interface. Then my programmer will be able to take these graphics and just code up the app very quickly.
To be honest, I am still having second thoughts as to whether or not I should be spending $3k on an iPhone app or not. Yes, I am well aware of all the huge success stories of mobile app, but there are WAY more stories of people losing money on developing apps. Its not an easy business, and perhaps I would be wiser to invest money into projects (like new websites, etc) that I am more of an expert in. So, these are some of my reservations. After all $3k is still a lot of money for anyone to drop on any project.
However, despite these reservations, I do plan on moving forward because I believe the idea is a good one and the potential user base of the app is quite large as well. (Any webmaster with Google Adsense on their sites and an iPhone is the target market). This market includes millions of people.
Anyway, just wanted to give a quick update for my project, some of my thoughts, and my plans down the road. Overall, I would be interesting in hearing any feedback that you might have for me at this point. Feel free to leave a comment below…thanks!
Update 5/28/2012 – My Ad Alert iPhone app is now available in the App Store!
My Top Recommendations:Host your sites with Bluehost for only $3.95 per month
Build Amazing WordPress sites with Thrive
Find Profitable FBA Ideas with Jungle Scout