The first case study I’m doing is actually for 2 sites that I purchased earlier in the year. The second case study is for Vylo, a web-based voice chat software for gamers that Perrin and I are developing (with other partners as well).
Today, I wanted to provide a monthly report for the 2 sites that I purchased. I keep monthly stats for these sites, and know that others find value in the previous monthly reports I’ve done for the Niche Site Projects.
So, I’d like to get monthly reports going for these 2 sites, so that you can review my progress a bit better. In addition, these monthly reports can be motivational for both you and I, as I keep track of what is working and what is not.
My goal for both of these sites is to increase earnings, and then likely re-sell them for a profit before the year is out.
When I bought this site, it only had about 5 articles of content and was getting around 200 visitors a day. The primary strategy has been simple, build links to some of the pages to help them rank higher. Create new content based on related keywords to start drawing in more traffic from long tail keywords.
The strategy has actually worked out okay, not stellar, but okay. The traffic has gone from about 200 visitors a day when I bought it, to about 230 or so a day on average. Not a huge increase, but its something.
Unfortunately, this has not translated into an earnings increase. I am only going to compare April earnings with March earnings. However, the truth is that I want to get the site back up over the $400 mark. But I actually now believe that the site was only up at around $400 for the month of December and January (before I bought it).
So, I may have bought based on higher than normal earnings.
In April, I decided to be more aggressive with Amazon to see if I could increase that side of the earnings. I created a comparison chart reviewing some of the top items in the niche and placed it predominantly on the homepage.
The strategy did indeed work to increase the Amazon earnings! In April, the site nearly doubled its Amazon earnings:
So, $62.45 in Amazon earnings is a nice jump from $38.96…unfortunately this increase was offset by a bigger decrease in Adsense earnings.
I was hoping that Amazon would bring in more money than Adsense eventually; but I can see that is not going to happen in this niche. As a result of attracting more attention and getting more Amazon clicks, I got less people clicking on my Adsense ads.
As a result, the Adsense earnings went from $262.13 in March to a measly $175.60 in April. Boo!
The overall earnings of the site in April was $238.05. This is a decrease of $63.04. Ouch.
As a result, I’m going back to making Adsense more prominent and will no longer focus on Amazon (although there will still be some links on the site). I did some quick calculations and discovered that each Adsense click is worth about 2 times as much as an click to Amazon for this site.
So, this month will mostly be spent testing out different ads layouts to find out how I can get the maximum Adsense earnings with the traffic the site receives.
Overall, not a great month for this site. The traffic was about the same as March; but the earnings were down quite a bit. I’ll try to reverse that for May!
For the record, from date of purchase until the end of April, this site has earned a total of $891.68.
The second site I purchased, gets significantly more traffic…almost all of it from Pinterest. I’ve tried a number of things to improve the traffic and earnings, that I’ve covered previously here.
So, I can compare April earnings to something; here is the earnings from March. Oh and also remember that this site was earning about $250/month before I bought it.
Total Earnings for March – $301.09
Unfortunately, the traffic was down a bit in April due to some site technical issues. I installed a plugin that caused some loading and other issues, and it took over a week to figure out what was going on. I also had an Analytics issue for a day or two which makes the traffic look much lower. However, the traffic was down close to 10%; primarily due to the technical issues.
Traffic Drop from March to April
The good news is that all the reporting and site loading issues should now be resolved. However, the damage was done for April, and this is reflected in an overall drop in earnings for the month.
Here are the earnings from April:
Total Earnings for April: $245.85
(Screenshot of Media.net Earnings)
So, the earnings decreased $55.24. Again, this is the wrong direction!
During the month of April, we also played around with adding an email opt-in to get leads. I did add about 100 people to a mailing list; but have not done much with this list other than a couple of autoresponders.
In May, I am basically going to just get more aggressive with the ad placement to generate more revenue that way. Because the traffic is not reliant on Google; it really doesn’t matter if my ads are top heavy or anything else I might normally be concerned about.
I will also try sending out an affiliate offer to the email list I’ve built.
For the record, this site has earned a total of $766.13 since I through the end of April.
Overall, the sites are still earning, but not at the level that I would like them to be. Both sites decreased in earnings from March to April; but I’m hopeful that I can reverse that in April.
I would love to hear your thoughts on this monthly income report. If you have anything to add to the discussion, please add your comment below.
© Copyright 2014 Niche Pursuits | Niche Business Ideas