So, today I wanted to give an update on one of the sites that I purchased. I've written about the 2 sites I purchased previously; one I've called the “Pinterest site” and the other is an “Adsense site”. Today, I'll be covering the progress of the Adsense site. In a couple of days, I'll be covering the progress of the “Pinterest” site.
As with any project, the process is long term and sometimes the results are not immediate. However, despite not having any earth shattering news to report on the sites, I feel its important to share the tedious little tasks associated with these projects…and not just the rewards.
Adsense Site Update – Electronics Niche
One of the sites I bought at the beginning of this year, is a site that earns mostly from Google Adsense, but also has a little bit of Amazon Associates earnings. I don't want to give away too many details, but I'm comfortable saying that the site is in the electronics niche and focuses primarily on one product in that niche.
When I purchased the site, it was getting about 200 visits a day and earning around $400 per month.
Here's a couple of screenshots of the earnings before I bought the site (screenshots provided by previous owner):
So, these screenshots give you a good baseline of where the site was when I purchased it. Now lets dig into what I've been doing over the past couple of months.
What I've Done to the Site
The plan for the site has been fairly simple, increase rankings by getting high quality links; and add more targeted content. So, I've done exactly that!
In order to increase rankings for both the primary and secondary keywords, I've built about 5 Rank Hero links. I almost immediately started seeing an increase in traffic and rankings after doing this. I'll continue building more links using either my own private blog network or Rank Hero.
As a result, my traffic is now up to about an average of 244 visits per day – an INCREASE of over 20%!
Here's a screenshot of the recent traffic:
In addition to link building, I've also added some new content. Really only one major post at this point, but a few more are in the works targeting some low hanging fruit keywords in the niche (found using Long Tail Pro).
I've also added a nice shopping comparison chart on the homepage of the site to try and increase the Amazon earnings. This was only implemented a couple of weeks ago, so I'm still monitoring results.
What About Earnings?
Unfortunately, the increased traffic has not really increased my earnings too much. Or I should say, that I'm still not earning more than the site was originally. I'm not freaking out though, because I think a bit part of that was the fact that the site was originally a PHP site; but now I've moved it over to WordPress.
The process of moving the site from html/PHP to WordPress was a pretty monumental task. But the previous owner had coded up a custom theme to keep the layout and look of the site pretty much exactly the same. I wanted to move it to WordPress to make it easier to manage in the future.
The site still looks mostly the same, however, in the process the ad layout got changed a bit – and I think that has led to lower earnings. I just recently (perhaps a week or 2 ago?) went in and changed the ad layout for the site to hopefully convert better. I am already seeing some higher earning days, but there is still not enough data to make a determination.
Here's the Adsense earnings from February:
(Notice the sad downward trend)
March Adsense Earnings
I'm hoping this continues to trend up as the last few days have looked.
So, if I average out the earnings, this site should earn a total of about $254 in Adsense during March. Then another $24 or so from Amazon. See Amazon Earnings below:
Overall, earnings in March should get me close to the $300 mark; however, that's about $100 short of what it was earning before I bought it. So, I have a lot of work to do…BUT I do believe April will be a much better month because my traffic is increasing and I've now optimized the ads a bit better.
Then I'm optimistic that the site will be more hands off from there.
Its also possible that the earnings of December and January were seasonally higher than normal; meaning that $400 per month was higher than normal. However, I don't want to think about that being a possibility, as that would mean I bought the site based on inflated numbers.
I really don't think that's the case, but I have to leave that open as a possibility…and if so, I need to learn from that! Either way, it doesn't matter, I just need to dig in and improve the site that I now own to the best of my abilities.
Overall, I wanted to give you a quick update on what I've been working on over the past month or so for this Adsense site that I purchased. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this case study update. As always, feel free to ask any questions or give your input as you see fit.
I'll be providing an update in the next couple of days on the “Pinterest” site that I purchased as well, so stay tuned for that. And of course, a big point of this case study is to get me some experience in the buying sites realm; then I can buy bigger sites later in the year hopefully.
Anyway, leave a comment and lets see what we can learn here…
Get These Three Tools I Use Everyday:Host your sites with Bluehost for only $3.95 per month
Build Amazing WordPress sites with Thrive
Find Profitable FBA Ideas with Jungle Scout
Passive Journal Infographics: Get 10% off when you enter "NICHEPURSUITS" at checkout